Author Topic: Boomstrut  (Read 4440 times)

sven@tryding.se

Boomstrut
« on: 23 Jul 2017, 11:35 »
Hi,

Is there anyone that has fitted a boomstrut on a bayraider?

I am considering it, in order to have easier handling of boom and sails before and after actual sailing.

What is the normal weight of boom and sails?  Perhaps a dinge boomstrut will be enough?

Any thoughts?  I've seen ancient posts in this subject but no conclusions.

Br
Sven

Peter Cockerton

Re: Boomstrut
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2017, 13:32 »
The sprit boom design and sail shape provides some downward force to help prevent the boom from lifting. My other half very much likes the spray hood up when sailing and the fitting of a boom strut would not allow the spray hood to be used. I always use my topping lift when raising and lowering the main, the design is documented in the library i'm sure if interested.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2017, 20:30 »
I always use my topping lift when raising and lowering the main

+1.  Here's the library article http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?p=404
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

sven@tryding.se

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2017, 20:40 »
Ah, great.
 I see that your article describes a good solution to the issue with the boom, sail and crew sharing the same space sometimes.
I will follow these guides,  buildning a topping lift,   rather than try to fit a boomstrut.
Thanks
Sven

sven@tryding.se

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2017, 12:12 »
I am just wondering, when to release the topping lift, just before or after hoisting the main sail?
If after, how do I get the lift out of the way  during sailing?
I guess that when to reef, it just to attach the lift just before actually reefing.
I wouldn't assume that you keep the lift attached during sailing, would you? In very light winds perhaps?

Regards
Sven

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2017, 16:32 »
Sven,

The sequence I use is:
Mainsheet off, head to wind (tiller and mizzen locked amidships)
Hoist mainsail
Topping lift off to a predetermined mark, which allows the line to sag just enough (but not too much), so that it doesn't interfere with the sail.  Let go too much and the line flaps about in a distracting way
Downhaul then outhaul on
Mainsheet in and away you go

To reef/unreef:
Mainsheet off, head to wind (tiller and mizzen locked amidships)
Downhaul and outhaul off
Topping lift on so that the sprit boom is more or less horizontal, or maybe even slightly raised at the aft end
Drop the mainsail (it can safely come down as fast as you like)
Mainsheet on
Reef/unreef
Then follow the first sequence to raise the reefed/unreefed mainsail

If you are just packing the mainsail away, follow the second sequence and then instead of reef/unreef, roll the mainsail up into a neat package from the port side and tie it up with sail ties.  I also tie the end of the yard to the furled mizzen to stop the two banging against each other.

If you leave the topping lift on by mistake when you're trying to sail, you'll find it difficult to get the downhaul and outhaul out to their usual marks and you'll also wonder why the boat is so very slow.  I suppose that you could use the topping lift for light wind sailing but I prefer a combination of fiddling with the outhaul and downhaul, shifting myself to the leeward side (if the wind is very light, like yesterday on Coniston) and/or pulling the bottom part of the mainsheet over to windward for more twist on a beat.

After using the topping lift a few times, it becomes second nature and you'll wonder how you ever sailed without it, especially when solo.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

sven@tryding.se

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2017, 19:14 »
Thanks for adding the handling sequence. It clarified how to handle the lift during sailing.
On boats with a backstay it seems like that is it quite frequently used to have the the topping lift attached during sailing.
Regards
Sven

Colin Morley

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2017, 21:24 »
I cant see you need a boom strut. The way the sail is designed with the bottom of the luff pulled down tight it acts as cunningham. The best way to hold the boom horizontal when not sailing is to have a topping lift. In fact without a topping lift the boom, gaff, and sail, all fall into the boat.
Colin
BR James Caird

sven@tryding.se

« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2017, 06:36 »
Topping lift installed. (In Swedish it is called "dirk").
Handling of the main sail is much easier now, thanks.

Br
Sven