Author Topic: Single vs double jib sheet  (Read 3294 times)

Ged

Single vs double jib sheet
« on: 11 Apr 2017, 10:17 »
I've notice that some boats have a single central jib sheet, is there a disadvantage to this system over having two?

Cheers

Ged
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Chris Capener

Re: Single vs double jib sheet
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2017, 08:32 »
Hi Ged
I just noticed your post .
I am currently rigging my kit Storm 17 for the first time and have wondered about this too. Matt says the single central sheet works well. I think that it should be OK because of the club boom allowing no real control over the shape of the jib from the cockpit anyway.

I am thinking of going for the single line option and leading it to a cleat on the underside of the centre board seat. That is CB uphaul one side and single jib sheet the other.

What was your decision?

Regards

Chris

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2017, 09:10 »
Chris

I haven't tried a single sheet system for the jib but can report on 11 years of use of a double jib sheet for the jib - that is one piece of string that runs through a shackle on the jib clew and back to conventional jammers located just in front of the cockpit coaming. I find that when betaing in a stiff breeze, more control is affforded on getting the set of the jib just right by using the windward sheet. This is because it immediately causes lateral movement in / out of the jib boom, whereas the leeward sheet tends to try and pull the end of the boom down as well as causing lateral movement.

Not sure if that helps?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

steve jones

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2017, 10:15 »
  I  did away with the club boom, and use the normal double sheet on a a continuous loop ( single handed sailing) . Coming about I find easier, especially with jib and mizzen only, the jib can be backed . The weather sheet can also be use as a Barber hauler.  Any crew carried won't be bored either.

Steve Jones  BR17  Nona Me

Ged

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2017, 16:42 »
Hi Chris
My boat came with the double jib sheets already installed, I asked Lara/Matt and this was the answer:

'The sheeting angle of the boom might not be quite so good, and there's possibility of a little more friction so it's maybe not so good in light winds as the rope is stiffer through the pulleys.
But.... try it and see how it works for you!'

I've found that when beating it's easy to reach the sheets led to the side of the boat, it's possible to flick them out of the cleat and then recleat.  I think having to lean into the boat to reach a single sheet would mean bringing your weight into the boat just when you probably want it further out.

I decided not to change.

I'm loving my Storm 17, I cruise with a group of mixed dinghies, mainly modernish multipurpose dinghies, Comet trios, GP14, Laser 2000s etc she keeps up pretty well, especially downwind.  I'm usually at the back of the fleet towards the end of the day but I've got there in much greater style and comfort!
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

T.R.Cross

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2017, 12:06 »
I have owned a "IONA" a Storm 15 for 9 years and have always had a single jib sheet cleated on the aft of the centerboard case.  With the main sheet also cleated  (frowned upon my many) going about is easy.
I have also fitted  single line roller reefing to the jib.

Terry Cross    IONA