Author Topic: Cruise the Friesian Islands in May 2018?  (Read 3069 times)

PeterS

Cruise the Friesian Islands in May 2018?
« on: 24 Sep 2017, 08:49 »
We're thinking about a week-long cruise around the western Friesian Islands in Netherlands in early May 2018 in Breeze II, our BayCruiser 23.  Has anyone done this trip recently?  If the weather is poor we will probably divert to the inland waterways of Friesland instead.  Is anyone interested in making it a 'cruise in company'?  Probably taking the ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland on 4 May and driving up to Den Helder (about 2.5 hours).  Returning to UK by ferry on the following weekend.

PeterDT

Re: Cruise the Friesian Islands in May 2018?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2017, 18:35 »
Hello Peter,
Good to see Swallows coming to the Netherlands! The Dutch and German Wadden Sea is ideally suited for our kind of boats. Which islands do you have in mind? My favourites are Ameland and Schiermonnikoog, as the eastern part of the Dutch Wadden sea is " dryer" as in more shallows and creeks. And more associated wild life such as seals.
I would avoid sailing to the North Seas, as the channels between the islands can be rough, with strong currents, sand bars and breaking waves.
Where are you planning to launch?
I would be happy to give you more (sources of) information,

Peter T

Antjefokkema

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2017, 14:53 »
Cool! Keep us informed Peter!
If you start in Den Helder, you will find lots of current and a huge sea.
The island Texel is close, but the next harbours like Vlieland and Harlingen are far away.
I would recommend to start at the marina in Lauwersoog.
The island Schiermonnikoog is totally national park and beautiful.
You can use the habour but also anchor just outside.
And between Schiemonnikoog and the island Ameland is the semi-island Engelsmanplaat: great place to "fall dry" as we call it.
We might come and join you!

Antjefokkema

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2017, 14:58 »
Check here for some films and pictures of the easfrisian area: http://www.waddenflottielje.nl

MarkDarley

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2017, 19:59 »
I understand from Roger Barnes that the Dinghy Cruising Assoc is planning a cruise in Holland for 2018.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!