Author Topic: Cabin storeage bags  (Read 3075 times)

Sea Simon

Cabin storeage bags
« on: 20 Jun 2018, 19:06 »
Another question that i have not been able to answer by trawling this site so far. Hoping for some guidance please.

My BRe has no provision for cabin storeage at all; clearly I need to sort something out.

I like the look of the bags that run longitudinally down the sides of the cabin, but it is not clear to me how they are secured to the boat. I am concerned about damaging the hull.
Can you explain please?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

charliea

Re: Cabin storeage bags
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2018, 13:32 »
Hi Simon

We use big sausage shaped waterproof bags made by Nookie, but I don't think they've available any more. They're nicely wedged to one side of the mast compression post so I don't usually secure them in any way.

The reason for my post is to mention that if you're in the market for bags the latest edition of Yachting Monthly reviewed the Decathalon ones really well.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-881101-waterproof-bags-and-containers/N-248256-product-type~waterproof-bag

They did best in the waterproof test despite being half the price of the others.

Charlie

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2018, 11:07 »
Thanks for the info. I have had some useful kit from Decathlon.

I am really more interested in the fabric type "bags" or pockets that attach to the cabin sides, and look  like the factory cockpit halyard bags.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

David Hall

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2018, 17:29 »
Simon

I have the fabric bags supplied by Swallow.
They are attached to a wooden (oak) rail attached to the roof of the interior. I am not sure if the rail is glued or was fixed prior to the deck/hull being joined together, there are no obvious screw holes.

See photos below

Hope this helps

David Hall
'Lady G' BC23 #51

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2018, 08:33 »
That's very helpful David, especially the photos. thanks.

I hadn't noticed the wood battens on other photos, that arrangement makes sense.

What with no storeage, and the boat being used every day at the moment, my cabin is turning into a bit of a shed!
...From Oct 22.

Andy Dingle

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:07 »

Simon - have a look at the 360 deg view of the BC23 on the Swallow Yachts web site -

http://swallowyachts.com/range/bay-cruiser-23/

The boat shown is actually mine - Equinox No.25 (but now with thicker red cushions). You can clearly see the storage bags all around the forepeak.
Do you have storage under the bunk seats? I had extra large access holes with an air tight seal put in the buoyancy tanks under the main saloon seats that can give access for storage - which I generally use for heavier items and water bottle storage.

Regards

Andy and Equinox

Bob Krelle

« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:23 »
The Swallow Yachts interior canvas bags for the BRe have twist toggles that are simply screwed into the inside grp skin of the foam core.  The BC23 utilises the oak hanging rail (which is screwed from the outside, deep inside the scupper pockets Marine Construction Adhesive is used inside to ensure a permanent fixture) with the twist toggles being screwed to the hanging rail.
Bob
Boat builder and CNC operator at Swallow Yachts.

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jul 2018, 08:50 »
Ah!
Much clearer now, BC v BRe!
Many thanks gents very helpful.

My boat has factory fit halyard bags in the cockpit, and they use the twist toggles to which Bob refers.

Bob, a couple of additional questions please if you wouldn't mind?
What is the gap between the hull skins, approx?  ie what max length of screws to  use safely?
Fancy i might use a timber rail,with glue/sealant so as to give me a bit of versatility in fixing points. Do you see any issues with this?
...From Oct 22.

Bob Krelle

« Reply #8 on: 03 Jul 2018, 10:59 »
We work on the hull sides of the BRe being roughly 20mm, if screwing directly to the inner skin I would advise screws no longer than 1/2" (13mm).  We use 3.5 x 13 CSK screws for the twist toggles.  Using a construction adhesive you could simply put in place blocks of oak (or marine ply) at the distances required and screw to them.

Bob

Boat builder and CNC operator at Swallow Yachts.

Sea Simon

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul 2018, 15:12 »
That's really helpful Bob.
Thanks again.
...From Oct 22.