Author Topic: LAUNCHING  (Read 20860 times)

Martijn

Re: LAUNCHING
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2019, 19:45 »
That looks a lot better!
Can you please tell me how much they charged you for a new one?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Mikecambray

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2019, 21:13 »
Hi Martijn, I haven't got the bill yet, and I'm guessing it won't be until I get back from next Scottish cruise beginning of July.  I suggest give them a call or maybe send them a pic of your trailer first.  Chris and Andrew very helpful in my experience.
BC23 #12 'Juno', (formerly 'Golightly').
ex Drascombe Coaster 'Shasa'.

Martijn

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:47 »
Thanks Mike. I'll give them a call.....
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:19 »
That looks a lot better!
Can you please tell me how much they charged you for a new one?

looks very much like my 2017 version?
Ideally, I would like to see a bigger "base plate", with some more bolts.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

jonno

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2019, 12:25 »
Ella's solution.

Mikecambray

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2019, 13:23 »
Nice, who makes it?  I'm seeing Indespension this afternoon, they seem to make a six bolt option with a good brace, which if it compatible with the dimensions of my trailer I will give a go.  I'll post a pic if it works out.

jonno

« Reply #36 on: 20 Jun 2019, 15:05 »
Mike, it was made up by a local steel fabricator.

Mikecambray

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2019, 16:28 »
Thanks Jonno - they could get a contract for some more!

Here are pics of Indespension's approach.  It looks promising but the one they have lent me will only straddle a 7cm trailer spine beam, and mine is 8cm.  I'm going to talk with them in the morning to see if they have a 'next size up'  Indespenion use 10mm bolts throughout at this size rather than the 13mm that CLH use.  They also use a rectangular beam for the top post, with four bolts that hold it, and the bracing plate, in place in both the vertical and horizontal planes.  Hopefully this is clear in the pics.

JOD

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2019, 21:59 »
Mikecambray, can you post details of the nylon rollers which CLH suggested. Given all the problems outlined by so many does anyone know whether they have any advice or updates?
JOD

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jun 2020, 22:01 »
As this was the most recent of several threads that reported winch post failures on older CLH trailers, here’s a photo of another failure from last week.  The common factors here (apart from being CLH) are that the winch posts are quite old, often from 2010 or thereabouts, and are unreinforced.

Anyone with an older CLH trailer should inspect it prontissimo.  If the winch post base is showing any signs of weakness (cracks, deteriorating welds), it needs urgent attention and preferably replacement.  The weak ones all seem to be single posts angled towards the front, lacking a second strut reinforcing them from the front (see photos of safer versions in other postings above).
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #40 on: 12 Jun 2020, 17:17 »
Nasty! But very lucky!

Winch post failure.
I'd recommend rigging some sort of backup restraint device, or preventer.
Mine has one of dyneema and chain. Hopefully enough to prevent any runaway load, should the winch post assembly fail for any reason.
Mine should at least ensure that the winch/post etc remains attached to the trailer spine beam come what may.
What with my new acetal keel rollers, the boat would end up on the ground!

I have wondered if some elements of these winch post failures could be attributed to fatigue
Cracking induced by cyclical loads during towing?
Not that i tend to tow much, or very far, but I always relive the winch and transfer the load at the bow eye to a chain preventer, rigged a "slackish chain" on the spine
of the trailer.
Probably not a good idea to transport too far with these cyclical loads  hard on the Bow eye either?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Mikecambray

« Reply #41 on: 04 Aug 2020, 21:34 »
I have just had my winch post adapted by local fabricators (Kendal Metalworks) who have extended the base plate so it is 6 bolts rather than four, and added a reinforcing bar to supplement the CLH model.  The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that I have installed a two speed winch.  Juno has only been towed and launched so far so can't yet report on the success of delaunch.  With the new Acetal rollers (thanks Sea Simon) that I have also just fitted my hopes are high.  Trailers and hopes can be uneasy companions however :-).  Happy sailing all.

Sea Simon

« Reply #42 on: 05 Aug 2020, 11:12 »
MikeC,

like this winch post mod - much better than my preventer.

May try it this winter.
...From Oct 22.