Author Topic: Trailer weight distribution  (Read 2774 times)

Rod Shiers

Trailer weight distribution
« on: 15 Jul 2019, 10:01 »
I have just had to replace the trailer on my BC23 (which is another story). The new one has fully adjustable centre keel rollers (the old one just had a block on the aftermost roller). The trailer recovered the boat easily but I noticed that when the stem was hard up to the trailer end none of the keel rollers was engaged with the keel, so al the weight was on the dumb bells. Obviously that wasn't right so I have raised each keel roller to take some weight . The question is what should the distribution be? If there is too much on the keel rollers, on my previous trailer, the boat dug into the rollers. Any tips would be appreciated.
Rod Shiers
Gracenote

Peter Cockerton

Re: Trailer weight distribution
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2019, 18:29 »
Rod

Very timely post for me as I have just taken delivery of my trailer from De Graaff for my BR20 and setting up the rollers in hopefully the right position for when I collect my boat in September.

The question I have is should the weight of the boat be taken by the hull rollers or the keel rollers or both, I found this article on the web on how to set up roller trailers and it would suggest it should be the hull rollers and the keel rollers are for centring the hull (if I have interpreted the article correctly. It also talks about adjusting the height of the roller sets so they put the hull on a slight incline to aid launching. I realise our boats with bilge runners create their own issues and even these create different views on how to pitch the rollers sets, ie Matt says not to straddle the bilge runners withe the roller sets as the hull is not supported correctly but many owners including me have found the ease of launching and recovery to be improved if the bilge runners are straddled, Matts comment also suggests that the hull rollers should support the hull.

https://roxom.com.au/tutorials/boat-trailer/how-to-set-up-a-boat-trailer-correctly

Above address will take you to the article where you will need to page down until you get to the large boat roller trailer guide

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2019, 18:34 »
Ha! I was just about to post exactly the same very useful link.  I get the impression that Australians have a much more professional approach to their trailers than suppliers here in the UK. 

Note also their recommendations on roller materials in this related article https://roxom.com.au/tutorials/boat-trailer/how-to-adjust-boat-rollers-on-your-trailer. To summarise, “Black rubber rollers are usually of poor quality”
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rod Shiers

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2019, 10:23 »
Thanks for that - very helpful - interesting - a guy at my club suggested that if the rollers take the weight it might deform the hull,but I'm not so sure. One point he did make that seemed sensible was to look at the rollers carefully and see if they are making contact with the hull evenly, but as the dumb bells on the CLH are on a swinging axle I would have thought they will self adjust. As to the bilge keels I had an ongoing problem on my old trailer with the rollers fouling either the keel or the bilge keels. I measured them and discovered there was only an 8mm gap. I shortened the axles by 10mm each side and this made a big difference. I understand that this is now the standard spec on the new trailers. Looking at the Australian article I can well see how setting up the rollers to be higher at the bow would make a big difference, particularly with shallow slipways. I have found at Carsington that standing on the stern at the beginning of the recovery makes it easier. My learning curve with trailers is still very steep!

JOD

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2019, 22:04 »
Whilst I admire those with the knowledge and skills to work on their trailers, I suspect that I am not alone in lacking these qualities. This current thread is new but seems to be an extension of the subject I started last month under the heading, 'Launching'. The suggestion that the front rollers be raised an inch appears sensible but the basic issue is unresolved namely that the keel must be supported as it is the backbone of the boat. The suggested link shows a multi roller arrangement common for speedboats but swallow yachts have only front and rear sets and I would be concerned about damage unless the weight was taken on the keel. It follows that effective keel rollers are essential. Have the many difficulties been acknowledged by the boat and trailer  manufacturers and are any solutions being offered?
JOD