Author Topic: Dunstaffnage meet May 2020?  (Read 13680 times)

Rob Johnstone

Re: Dunstaffnage meet May 2020?
« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2019, 19:04 »
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the offer. That would be great!

Can we discuss arrangements in a slightly more private space - email me on rob.johnstone AT btinternet.com.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

jonno

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2020, 10:59 »
Hi Rory

You write 'It will be up to each owner to book for their own needs but I may be able to negotiate group rates in advance if there is enough interest.'

Any further thoughts on this? How do you think we might best proceed? Will you contact the marina re a block booking? Or would you prefer us to make bookings individually?

Many thanks

John

Rory C

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2020, 12:43 »
 Looking ahead to “Dunstaffnage week” it would be very helpful to get a better idea of the number of skippers who are definitely intending to come so that I can at least try to get a better than standard deal with the Marina. Their standard terms are:
Summer Daily berthing costs per metre is £3.00, Weekly summer rate is £18.00 per metre
Car & trailer parking daily is £7.00, car & trailer parking weekly rate is £36.00
Car or trailer only parking is daily £5.00 or weekly £25.00
Please note that if you are staying at “The Frog” you will probably park your car there.
Hoping that you do plan to come, please can you indicate either through this page or by personal message how many days that you hope to be there so I can prepare a guide plan for the marina arrangements.
The Marina team just need to know how many to expect nearer the time.
The Frog room bookings need to be done direct by each crew though sometime after Easter I’ll ask folk to indicate on which days they will want meals there so that we can enjoy as communal dining as possible.
Roll on May!
  :)

TimLM

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2020, 14:13 »
Hi Rory, I'll be there from Sunday evening till Saturday morning.
Thank you for organising this, Tim
Tim Le Mare
BRe 064 Gaff Cutter Ketch
Papagena

martinrobertpeart

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2020, 17:05 »
Hi Rory, we've just finished the purchase of BRe43 and have organised to come up to Dunstaffnage for the meeting in May. We are booked in to an Airbnb apartment in Connel with the intention of doing some sailing and exploring by car if the weather is not good and will be there for 10 days from 15th to 25th May. We will need to leave the boat at Dunstaffnage during that period and I'm happy to make arrangements with the marina myself if that makes it easier for you. If there is a bit of a "group" discount, that would be useful. Martin and Julie

Simon T

« Reply #20 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:25 »
Hi Rory,
I am just in the course of purchasing BC23 26 and I'm interested in coming to Dunstaffnage in May. I would sleep on board, but would be keen to meet up for some meals (incidentally the food in the Falls of Lora Hotel up the road is pretty good). I am new to water ballasted boats and I'm hoping to pick up some useful tips from others.

Rory C

« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb 2020, 16:46 »
I have been in contact with the marina and given them a preliminary number of possible visitors based on those who have expressed interest here on the forum. I tried to get a group discount without success but they have agreed to provide us with a designated area for the trailer storage which means that we should be able to ensure that trailers don’t get blocked in awkward areas. I think it would be useful if I could have any keys to trailer locks while you are there so that we can move them around if necessary to keep things as compact as possible. A dozen trailers can take up a lot of space!
I will be reminding the “Harbour Master” (their term) of this much nearer the time when I give them the numbers expected  but if you will need trailer parking before or after  that week please let me know or make arrangements with the marina directly.
Rory

Rory C

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:07 »
I'm not usually a pessimist but in the light of the latest Government Instructions and reports of The Highlands and Islands Council clearly asking folk not to visit the area until further notice, I want to say that we will probably have to postpone the meet until May 2021. Mary and I will go to Dunstaffnage as planned if we're allowed to at short notice because it fits with a booking we have at the B&B on Canna the following weekend.
I'll keep you informed of any developments as they occur.
I'm not even sure about the sensibility of getting Gobhlan back home from the farm for some "front garden sailing" yet.
Best wishes to all at this frustrating time.
Rory

jonno

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2020, 13:58 »
Hi Rory

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Take care.

Best wishes

John

Rory C

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2021, 22:14 »
I am sorry to say that as a consequence of COVID-19 uncertainties and the fact that by the end of May I’ll be in my 80th year, I am unwilling to organise a postponed event in 2021. I hope that those who expressed interest in the past will not be too disappointed.
Dunstaffnage Marina is a good base for exploring the Inner Hebrides and feel sure that other skippers will plan to meet there to explore together once the effects of the pandemic have subsided.
Rory Clarke

jonno

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:42 »
Rory

Thanks for letting us know.

All the best

John

Matthew P

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2021, 11:33 »
Hi Rory   

Thank you for all your work preparing for Dunstaffnage and other meetings. Your work is a great foundation for further enjoyable Scottish meetings in the future.  You certainly deserve a long and happy retirement!

We wish you calm seas and gentle breezes.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter