Author Topic: CLH trailer for BC23 for sale (SOLD)  (Read 4087 times)

Martijn

CLH trailer for BC23 for sale (SOLD)
« on: 24 Aug 2019, 08:44 »
I'm selling my BC23 trailer. After having recently purchased it with my boat I've discovered it cannot be approved for road use in The Netherlands under EU regulations.
Anyone in the UK has an interest?
The trailer is perfectly set up for a BC23 by the previous owner and is in good condition. It was build in 2012. The axle has been upgraded from 1500 to 1800 kg in 2018.
The winch post and winch are currently not mounted but also included.
I've added a new nose wheel, new keel rollers and lighting has been upgraded to conform EU regulations.

£ 900 ono, collectible in Amsterdam area
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

Re: CLH trailer for BC23 for sale
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2019, 09:10 »
I am sorry to hear that the CLH trailer cannot be approved for use in the EU. Are you able to describe where the problems for this are? Is there the possibility that the same issues would apply to those who wish to take their boats on CLH trailers on road trips on the continent?  Other forum members may have experience of this.

Martijn

Re: CLH trailer for BC23 for sale
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2019, 09:52 »
Hi Caduceus,

It's not that CLH trailers in general are not approved, but specifically mine. I know of at least one other Dutch BC23 who had his trailer approved.
The reason for the approval process is that in The Netherlands we need a license plate which is tied to the trailer rather than the car. In order to obtain this license plate the trailer needs to be approved for road use. In my case CLH forgot to stamp the VIN (vehicle identification number) on the chassis. Without this VIN, the origin, year of build etc cannot be traced (it could even be stolen) and the approval grinds to a halt. I've been in contact with CLH several times. They promised to gather and send some information which just might help me to get it approved, but I haven't heard from them in weeks and I'm running out of time now and decided to purchase a new trailer.

There's no reason for concern when going abroad with your trailer.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martin Bevan

Re: CLH trailer for BC23 for sale £ 900 ono
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2019, 13:09 »
Thank you for your very clear and helpful reply. I will look out for the correct documentation when we collect our boat.
Good luck with the sale of your trailer.
Regards Martin

Peter T

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2019, 22:06 »
I thought I would look for the VIN on my trailer and the only reason I found it was because of the yellow label that is stuck on around it (likely to fall off in a few months I reckon).  The VIN stamp is so feint that without the label I don't think I would ever have found it.  I am sure you have looked very thoroughly already Martijn but I thought I would mention this in case it was helpful.

Peter

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2019, 12:19 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for that.
When I contacted CLH they told me the VIN is supposed to be stamped in the chassis at the forward end of the trailer (see enclosed image).
Is this where yours is located too?
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Julian Merson

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2019, 20:53 »
Does anyone know how well a BC23 trailer would fit a BC20.  Having just acquired the latter, I've bumped into the issue of 100kg maximum of storage when trailer sailing and am thinking about upgrading to a braked trailer.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Martijn

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2019, 06:31 »
As see no reason as to why not. The trailer and supports are all adjustable. You might have to move the axle a bit forward so that it is underneath the center of gravity of your boat, but that would only benefit the behaviour of the trailer. The is connected to the chassis with 2 U straps on each side so it is not difficult.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2019, 09:20 »
Now sold....
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"