Author Topic: Anchoring A BRe or similar small cabin boat, by the bow - From the cockpit.  (Read 3507 times)

Sea Simon

This thread grew from one about fenders
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2099.0.html

For the sake of completeness,  I have added link to Swallows ingenious new anchoring system for the BRe, Oct 2020.
https://youtu.be/NQ4YrFLLd00
Raised here in a post by Thomas R.
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2092.msg13937.html#msg13937

My preferred solution :
Copied from Duckworks Magazine.
https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/chest/july/index.htm#c
Follow to section "A simple anchoring system".

All Credits, where due.
............................. ............................. ............................. .
A Simple Anchoring System
Written by Bill Nolen Photographs by Lewis Baumstark
I had been trying to develop a simple way to deploy my anchor from the cockpit of my West Wight Potter 15, Piglet, yet keep the anchor rode (line) attached to the bow eye. There have been several methods employed in one form or the other that accomplished this, but I wanted something simple, easy and cheap.
In a discussion about anchoring on the Trailer Sailor Potter Forum, Lewis Baumstark, owner P-15 # 2312, told about the anchoring system he had developed and was using on his Potter. Lewis's system is very simple and requires the purchase of only one large Carabineer.
The system works like this: A short line is tied permanently to the bow eye and led to the cockpit area. If your boat has cockpit rails, tie the end of this short line rather tautly to one of the rails. If your boat doesn't have cockpit rails secure the line to a cleat, etc..........
I can vouch for this method as a very convenient lunch hook set up, when necessary to anchor from the bow.
I have never overnighted like this, Just that I've never yet needed to.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
If you have a bowsprit but don’t have the splendid BRe anchoring hardware that Thomas Rahm drew to our attention (see https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2092.msg13937.html#msg13937), this could be another way of stopping the anchor line from chafing on the bowsprit bobstay.  I note that they’re careful to say that the system hasn’t been used overnight!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

To be fair to the WWPotter guys, I think the reservations about overnighting might be mine alone?

I think the WWP set up is probably safe overnight, but I've not tried it; because I've never yet overnighted on my own anchor!
At worst, my main anchor rode remains attached to the boat, by being made off on the halyard winch. The bow line,  "snugs up" the anchor rode to the bow eye. Should there be a carabineer problem, or similar(spring failure, or sharp joint in the carabineer?)? I think I have addressed this by using a very large stainless shackle (shed- "spares") in place of carabineer.

I think the anchor rode rigged this way may well be better protected from the bob stay wire, than it would be with the new "sprit launcher" arrangements?

I won't be seeking to convert to this very ingenious new launcher because:
1. I prefer chain on the bottom at the anchor, can be rocky hereabouts. I have > 8m on both my main, and kedge. Also reduces swinging room (more so than a leaded warp, i would suggest?), as it is often very busy here during peak holidays. This year it's been more like the Solent than Cornwall; a very unwelcome development. Hence we've been anchoring more in isolated gullies, in close proximity to rocks!
2. Too much weight, too high up, too far forward for my liking,
3. High cost. In my case, new anchor, swivel, leaded warp, bracket, clutch, cleat. I do have the necessary plank sprit.
4. My assymetric spinni gybing skills are not good enough to have a large sharp pointy thing  dangling off my sprit.????
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Ray S

The anchor under the bowsprit is an intriguing idea, although I'm not sure what problem it's trying to solve as launching from the cockpit is easy isn't it?

I followed advice given some years ago on this forum though struggling to find it again at the moment.  This is to have a bow line attached to a bow cleat (I've also seen it attached around the rear end of the bowsprit).  This line comes out through say the starboard front fairlead, outside the shroud and has a carabiner which can be hooked around a shroud or a middle deck cleat when not in use.   

The anchor itself can be in one of those flexible oval shaped buckets you can get from B&Q so it fits well into the side locker.   The anchor can have some chain but the  rope part of the rode is fitted with butterfly knots every 3meters or so.  So if anchoring in one metre depth as the anchor is lowered the carabiner is attached to the first of the butterfly knots.  In 2 meters the second butterfly knot etc.  Of course you have to ensure the bitter end of the rode is secured first. 

Let out the anchor rode until the bow line  goes out in line with it and cleat off.  Then get the canopy up and tighten the mizzen and you're all set for lunch!

BRe 047 Whimbrel

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
I followed advice given some years ago on this forum though struggling to find it again at the moment.

Third post down in this thread, from Jonathan Stuart all the way back in 2013 https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,702.0.html.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

Thanks for that reference gents.

Looks like this method is validated then?

However, I'm not sure all those butterfly knots are a good idea? Having had  it reinforced over the years, that knots weaken line?

Whilst mulling this topic over, I realised that for the majority of time this year, we've been anchored by the stern. This was usually to get out of the wind, and into the sun while sitting in the cockpit.
Must be a coincidence of wind/tide/geography?
...From Oct 22.