Author Topic: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?  (Read 67973 times)

Ray S

Re: The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?
« Reply #75 on: 02 Aug 2020, 18:28 »
In a BRe - 2 up with water ballast in, 2 blade prop and no engine well cover in I got very similar results in a 2 way test compensating for wind and tide:

200W = 3.5 kn
300W =  3.7 kn
400W = 3.9 kn
500W = 4.2kn
600W = 4.3kn
800W = 4.4kn
900W = 4.5kn
1000W = 4.6kn

In a more recent test in benign conditions got 4.7kn nudging 4.8kn.

If it wasn't for the external fuel tank the motor actually has a greater range than an o/b with internal tank.
But going above 4 knots (which happens to be the speed limit in my local River Frome) for us would be crazy on the way out but well do-able on the way home most of the time.

As it happens I've never used more than 40% capacity and am actually using less battery now as the motor gives the confidence to sail more in confined places knowing that you can just give a 50W or 100W nudge here and there just to get past awkward corners or tidal gates or skipping from one patch of cats-paws to the next.  Its a bit more like some of the Bayraiders getting there oars out from time to time - you can do it without having to bend your elbows to start the 'beast in the back' and make a fearful racket!

The battery adds another tactical element to those of wind and tide and soon it will be interesting to add yet another element - solar.  Still haven't received the interface cable though - that's the next fun project! 

Ray S
BRe Whimbrel 047

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #76 on: 12 Aug 2020, 15:28 »
After three inadvertent selections of reverse on my new Spirit 1 plus I have now reprogrammed the twist grip to the way my brain seems to be set when I want to engage forward. It’s down to years of using 4 HP petrol engines where you twist the grip clockwise to increase revs. On Monday, admittedly in a crosswind and the mizzen caught in one of the main reefing outhaul lines I messed up my first approach to the pontoon (and of course there were on shore witnesses) all down to my training where you use the least amount of power to overcome wind and tide, unfortunately due to asking the engine to go into reverse, with the outboard being so quiet the bow blew of and I had to circle round again.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #77 on: 12 Aug 2020, 16:07 »
After three inadvertent selections of reverse on my new Spirit 1 plus I have now reprogrammed the twist grip to the way my brain seems to be set when I want to engage forward.

Peter,

I have similar issues - how do you reprogramme the throttle?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

MarkDarley

« Reply #79 on: 15 Aug 2020, 08:19 »
Thank you Peter for a very complete description of your prop conversion process.
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #80 on: 15 Aug 2020, 20:25 »
+1
Graham

MarkDarley

« Reply #81 on: 17 Aug 2020, 21:53 »
I am happy to report that my new Epropulsion Spirit XS dropped right into my wooden Bayraider 20 with updated transom and fitted like a glove.  No modifications necessary, so I consider myself a very lucky man. 

The tiller has better clearance than with my old outboard, and if I get really fussy about weight distribution I could take the battery off, add the extension cable, and put the battery in a locker. Although frankly, having got rid of the weight of the old 6hp outboard, the fuel tank and a couple of small top up tanks, I am delighted by the new locker space now available to me for longer camping trips.

I may get around to the conversion of the three bladed prop I bought in anticipation of the problems of with the two bladed pro coming up through the lamellae, but the two bladed seems very manageable so far in my situation.

Going sailing tomorrow on Start Bay, and if I have to motor home up the River Dart, it will be so much quieter!

Thanks for all the shared information that lead to this decision. 
Mark, "Pippin"
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #82 on: 19 Aug 2020, 10:43 »
The availability of shear pins for the Spirit 1 is problematic it seems at the moment, I enquired with my supplier as soon as I took delivery of my engine for a spare pin only to be told that he doesn't stock them, never been asked for one and that the unit will stop if an obstruction by the prop is met.
I joined the Facebook page for the Epropulsion owners recently and a couple of owners have experienced pin breaks and have posted comments on difficulty with obtaining replacement pins.
One owner has posted that the Torqeedo  travel shaft pin is the same size so that may be an option to source. With comments from Epropulsion staff on the Facebook page hopefully this will prompt UK dealers to consider stocking this ridiculously cheap but important spare for their customers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/epropulsionoutboard/

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Ray S

« Reply #83 on: 19 Aug 2020, 11:48 »
I wondered a bit about the prop when ordering the Epropulsion XS so I also ordered a spare 2 bladed propellor  and this came with the spare shear pin and one or two other bits and pieces which are now in the spares kit in the boat.

Ray

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #84 on: 21 Aug 2020, 08:25 »
I’ve just ordered a spare Spirit prop, shear pin included.  Nestaway say that they’re not aware of anyone breaking shear pins with the direct drive Spirit or the Torqeedo 1103.  However, it was definitely a problem (yet another!) with the geared Torqeedo 1003.  The Faversham dealer that Peter and I bought our new motors from uses a Spirit on his club rescue boat.  He told me that whenever he has grounded the prop in mud, which around these parts is a common hazard, the motor has simply stopped.  Presumably the same happens with the Torqeedo 1103.

Nestaway say that they’re not aware of any three-bladed prop experiments, so if eProp UK are doing any, they’re keeping quiet about it.

I tried to order an eProp power take-off adapter.  This allows the 48V Spirit battery to be used as a 12V power source.  I’d use it with an air pump to inflate my dinghy and beach rollers.  Apparently the adapter doesn’t exist yet and is still on the drawing board - maybe next year.
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #85 on: 21 Aug 2020, 09:13 »
Will call the Faversham dealer this morning and ask them to supply a couple of drive pins for the spares box, i also have it now on good authority that the Torqeedo 1003 model drive pins part number 005-00051 3mm x 26mm fit the Spirit 1. I'm still using my modified 3 bladed prop so the original prop is in the spares box along with a 17mm box spanner to swap the prop out.

One issue i'm not sure about how to resolve, if the drive (shear) pin does break how do you undo the shaft nut, the usual way is to hold the prop whilst undoing the nut, if the pin is broken the shaft will just rotate as you try and undo the nut.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #86 on: 21 Aug 2020, 13:39 »
One issue i'm not sure about how to resolve, if the drive (shear) pin does break how do you undo the shaft nut, the usual way is to hold the prop whilst undoing the nut, if the pin is broken the shaft will just rotate as you try and undo the nut.

There’s been a discussion (including suggested solutions with varying degrees of risk/ danger attached) on the YBW forum https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/torqueedo-1003s-prop-removal.418476/.  This was specifically concerning the Torqeedo 1003 but I think it also applies to more recent models from eProp and Torqeedo. 

If the direct drive prop fails to stop on contact with an obstruction and you’re far from help,  it may be preferable for the prop to break rather than the shear pin.  At least it would then be fairly easy to remove the broken prop without access to Dremels, angle grinders etc.
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #87 on: 31 Aug 2020, 14:39 »
The availability of shear pins for the Spirit 1 is problematic it seems at the moment, I enquired with my supplier as soon as I took delivery of my engine for a spare pin only to be told that he doesn't stock them, never been asked for one and that the unit will stop if an obstruction by the prop is met.
I joined the Facebook page for the Epropulsion owners recently and a couple of owners have experienced pin breaks and have posted comments on difficulty with obtaining replacement pins.
One owner has posted that the Torqeedo  travel shaft pin is the same size so that may be an option to source. With comments from Epropulsion staff on the Facebook page hopefully this will prompt UK dealers to consider stocking this ridiculously cheap but important spare for their customers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/epropulsionoutboard/

Peter C

Following an order request to my supplier for two shear pins for my spares box the response back from Epropulsion is that they are not shear pins but drive pins, should the pin break the likelihood is that the prop will be destroyed as well. Drive pins are available when you order a new prop, they are not sold separately from the prop.
As an exercise I have tried to undo the 17mm shaft nut without holding the prop (simulating the pin being broken) and the shaft just spins.

So if Epropulsion are correct the prop and pin will need cutting off and replacing, a suitable tool will need to be available to repair the prop and pin.
The only alternative that has been suggested and shown to work is to power up the motor to provide shaft spinning resistance when undoing the nut, this method obviously has its inherent issues with sockets and ratchets spinning out of control, below is a you tube video showing how to remove a broken shear pin from a Torqeedo Travel motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWYiShvpCU

Peter C

Bayraider 20 mk2
USA rig

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #88 on: 03 Sep 2020, 12:08 »

As an exercise I have tried to undo the 17mm shaft nut without holding the prop (simulating the pin being broken) and the shaft just spins.

Peter,

In the video that you posted, the demonstrator seems to suggest that having already removed the shear pin, a spinning shaft could be overcome (at least on a Torqeedo) by using short sharp movements with a socket wrench.  Maybe it won’t be a problem with an eProp because the propeller may well break before the drive pin does.  We’ll see!  I have a spare prop and drive pin on order but hope that I won’t have to use them any time soon.

In less than rigorous scientific conditions yesterday, I motored about 8nm on the Medway with and against the tide and with and against an F3 breeze and ended with about a quarter of a tank left.  I was mostly using the motor at a sensible 300W.  Being parsimonious with the throttle induces a different state of mind compared to opening up and creating noise and wash with a 6hp Mariner.  I had more than enough time to enjoy the scenery and even spotted a pair of Peregrines perched high up on a ledge on one of the covered slipway buildings at Chatham.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #89 on: 12 Sep 2020, 16:16 »
A new shipment has arrived in the UK from ePropulsion and I have now received my Spirit Plus solar controller and spare propeller.  I hitched up a 26V lithium ebike battery to the solar controller and confirmed the theory that I could use my two ebike batteries to nearly double the range of my eProp.  It will also take a charge from my 12V “house” battery.  I’ll try it with my two cheap 60W solar panels, wired in parallel, in the next few days.  I can feel my range anxiety reducing already!
Graham