Author Topic: Flagstaff BRE?  (Read 3276 times)

Thomas Rahm

Flagstaff BRE?
« on: 06 Nov 2019, 20:22 »
Hi all. Has anyone fitted a a flagstaff to the transom area of a BRe?    Is there another solution?
Thanks for information.
Thomas
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Flagstaff BRE?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2019, 21:02 »
On my BR20, I stick a small pole (pigstick) into the gap on top of my mizzen, as in the attached photo.  Also attached a couple of llustrations of how to assemble a pigstick with a swivel using screws, washers and some bent wire.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2019, 19:35 »
I do something  similar to GW, on the mizzen...but...

I have fitted a burgee bracket, screwed to the mast, and have a racing type burgee, to which i have glued appropriately sized miniature union jacks (ebay, £5ish for two) so as to make a Small ensign, which also works as a proper burgee.
 Sorry not the best photo!

Conventional, aft deck/rail mount staffs are problematic with a boomed mizzen sail.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Thomas Rahm

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2019, 17:05 »
Thank's for the ideas.  Why the little pole does not slide down?
How is it fixed?
Thomas

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2019, 18:19 »
The pole on my mizzen has two plastic cable ties on it, with (trimmed) tails pointing in opposite directions.  Seriously high tech!

I also used to have a metal tube attached to the front top of my yard, from which I could fly a selection of grandiose streamers on poles, as in the photo.  It took me a while to realise that having so much weight and wind resistance up top was not good for windward performance....
Graham

garethrow

« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2019, 11:15 »
Graham
This is really interesting as I have been wondering how to attach a burgee to my BR20 once it arrives. I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the mizzen sail came as a complete 'sock' into which the mizzen mast slides - unlike the Storm where the sail is laced to the mast. Did you have to make a hole / gap at the top of the sail / 'sock' in which to insert your burgeee staff, or was it already there? What diameter is the staff? What holds the staff in place - just friction between sock and mast?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2019, 16:50 »
Gareth,

On both my Dolphin (original) and Hyde (replacement) mizzen sails, there’s a gap between the sleeve over the mast and the seam behind the mast.  The pole is a piece of round hardwood dowel from B&Q, which is about 3/4” diameter.  See above for my high tech cable tie non slip solution.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2019, 18:59 »
My Hyde mizzen has a "stirrup" style loop of heavy webbing at its top, just like a windsurfer sail. This is arranged port/stbd, meaning that the fore/aft faces of the mast are clear to allow attachment of a burgee bracket.

Sometimes, for special occasions, i fly a very large ensign (about half the size of the sail!) Using a pig stick like GW, just stuffed down the luff of the mizzen tube. Holds OK.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2019, 17:45 »
Thanks Simon - very helpful

Regads

Gareth

Thomas Rahm

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2019, 17:47 »
Now i have mounted a pig stick like Graham and Simon. I hope to hoist the flag with the long string.   
Thomas