Author Topic: Gunwale wear  (Read 3256 times)

Peter T

Gunwale wear
« on: 22 Nov 2019, 15:51 »
The standard Utile gunwales on my BRE are suffering badly from wear caused by the mooring lines.

I am sure that some of you that keep your boats afloat must have suffered similar problems so does anyone know of a good solution.  I have thought of:

1.  Using the ordinary stainless gunwale protectors available from most chandlers but they don't really seem to be the right shape or size.

2. Cutting out a small area of the gunwale and replacing it with some sacrificial red coloured epoxy (I have used re ochre before on other projects with some success).

3. Splicing in a chunk of lignum vitae.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Sea Simon

Re: Gunwale wear
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2019, 20:09 »
In some ways a bit of a compromise?
You need to protect the gunwhale wood, as well as the mooring rope; arguably the rope is "moor" important.

I fitted another stainless steel strip (as per that fitted by factory, on one side only) forward, below the fair-leads.
from a chandler on eBay - appx £8 I recall? Its about 2" shorter than the original, but as you can only see one side at a time, this is acceptable to me  :)
However, it is the same overall shape.

In conjunction with the anti chafe polyester sleeving on the mooring bridle, (see my extensive post - with pics!) this seems to have been OK over two seasons now.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter T

Re: Gunwale wear
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2019, 22:55 »
Many thanks Simon and Graham.  I think the stainless steel strips are probably the the best solution.  The photos are very helpful.

PS
I note that the photos also show delicious clear water in Fowey, Simon.