Author Topic: Detailed Tide Tables  (Read 2390 times)

Matthew P

Detailed Tide Tables
« on: 11 Feb 2020, 10:10 »
www.tidetimes.org.uk provides over 700 tables for specific locations around the British Isles. Tidal information is very local without needing complex and error prone time difference calculations from reference ports.

Each Tide Table is simply named after the local port or location. Many Scottish location names are in Gaelic, so identifying the Tide Table name for relevant areas requires local knowledge or a bit of research.  The website includes a location map.  Clicking on a location shows tidal diagrams for up to 7 days ahead.

The printed tide tables are simply presented in stapled A6 books, clearly printed with no faff but a small typeface.

The claim website and claims the data is derived from the UK Hydrographic Office.  It looks genuine - can anyone verify this?

Printed tide tables cost £1.75 each for the 2020 editions plus £2 post for however many ordered, i.e. 5 Tide Tables cost a total of £10.75.  Delivery was within 2 working days of ordering.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Sea Simon

Re: Detailed Tide Tables
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2020, 15:10 »
Not as many locations as the site recommended by MP above, but I find this app, by muchoviento.net very useful

Tide Prediction

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.muchoviento.android.tide

Has a graphical presentation feature, time against height of tide ( tidal curves?) That I use a great deal, due to being based on a semi drying swing mooring.
Easy to pick off latest departure, or earliest arrival home time, once the height of the mooring is established. That varies year by year, to some degree, as the sand shifts about.

App has proved to be very accurate over several years now. However, no idea where the master data comes from.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Ged

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2020, 10:45 »
I've just found this site, only the main ports but you can get a whole year... and it's free.

https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Nick Orchard

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2020, 22:27 »
I can recommend the Imray Tides Planner app that I’ve used for several years now. Originally only available on ios but now on Android as well. It’s not free but only about £3 for access to a year’s data. Lot of easy to see data including things like sunrise/sunset, days from springs/neaps, works on ipads as well as phones, all data downloaded so no need for an internet connection at sea etc. I find the tidal stream atlases particularly useful.
https://www.imray.com/tides-planner-app/
Nick
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay