Author Topic: BayRaider - Early Impressions  (Read 57359 times)

Simon Knight

Re: BayRaider - Early Impressions
« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2009, 17:54 »
Claus,

I wonder if a gas strut, similar to those used on estate car hatches, could be used.  The challenge would be to find one that would stand the salt water.  Otherwise some form of wooden prop.

I have just been out to check my boat which is along side the house and I have discovered that one of our cats has been sick in it - what joy!

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Tony

« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2009, 20:03 »
Hi, Claus.
Had a similar problem with an anchor locker on a hired cruiser that kept trapping my fingers. Used a stick with Velcro stick-on pads to locate it. Crude, but it worked perfectly. Leave the stick stuck to the underside of the locker lid and it self-located the next time the lid was lifted. I wonder if its still in use.

Cheers!
Tony

Craic

« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2009, 22:09 »
Simon,
to lock the lids I am using a fitting similar to the one depicted below. Stainless steel. Main thing is you need short screws, and some Sikaflex as extra adhesive and sealant.
Sorry about the cat. I remember a scene in 'Cranford'. Ugghh.

Tony,
velcro, good idea, I'll try that. Thanks.

Simon Knight

« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2009, 22:28 »
Claus,
That is a good looking catch, all the ones I've found are quite ugly in comparison.

Tony,
Velcro and a stick - simple and elegant.

Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #34 on: 01 Nov 2009, 06:14 »
Simon,
those catches are available from http://www.toplicht.de/shop/schloesser-riegel-und-verschluesse/spannverschluss-und-ueberfall/ueberfaelle/ueberfaelle-mit-drehverschluss .

You can have them in plain brass, or brass with chrome plated, Euro 9.95 apiece.

Toplicht is nearby, if you let me know you want them I can collect them for you. I'll see Matt next week in the Netherlands, so he could take them across to UK. Or I can post them directly to you. Send me a PM.
C.

Simon Knight

« Reply #35 on: 03 Nov 2009, 11:06 »
Claus,

I have attempted to send you a pm but I am not confident that it was sent.

Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #36 on: 07 Apr 2010, 10:29 »
BayRaiders,
the mainsail+gaff halyard how it is attached to the gaff yard, I have now seen several different versions on production boats, and they are all not too practical. The idea was/is that the carbon yard is hollow and so as not to compromise it#s buoyancy, the yard should not have any through-hole.

Well what the heck I have drilled my yards. I reinforced the area of the through holes -on both sides- through glueing on thin strips of teak using Pantera sealer (Epoxy does not bond with carbon, while Sikaflex and Pantera do).
I then drilled the through-hole. To retain the buoyancy of the spar, I sprayed in a small quantity of PU foam, and while that was filling up and setting inside the yard I had inserted a wooden peg (oiled, so as not to bond with the foam). Very happy with this arrangement. Plenty strong too.

Craic

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2010, 15:44 »
Plastic BayRaiders,
here is a solution for a common problem. Anyone knows which problem?

Simon Knight

« Reply #38 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:53 »
And my guess is....

End of the mast hitting the rudder blade when towing.

best wishes

Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:42 »
And my guess is.... End of the mast hitting the rudder blade when towing. ...

Well guessed, but no, what you have there is another common problem. But one that's more easily solved: With a cut-off old blue jeans leg. I spare you a photo.

Have another guess?

Simon Knight

« Reply #40 on: 12 Apr 2010, 13:07 »
How about a high rise tent to allow the donning and doffing of the afore mentioned one legged jeans in comfort?
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #41 on: 12 Apr 2010, 17:00 »
How about a high rise tent ...

Good! But no, the better tent pitching is just a side effect, a welcome one however.
There is yet another and somewhat more important issue which this little thing solves.

Simon Knight

« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2010, 13:54 »
How about you can now steer the boat with the mast stowed?

Simon
Simon Knight

Craic

« Reply #43 on: 16 Apr 2010, 17:52 »
How about you can now steer the boat with the mast stowed?

BINGO!
AND have good space under a boom tent as well. A simple little thing, it should be standard with every boats. Simple to make.

Craic

« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2010, 10:27 »
Two other things, in plastic BRs,
water collecting on the lee bench and draining not onto the cockpit floor but into the lee storage locker when the boat is sailing well heeled. From green water coming in over the side in gusts or from rain squalls and spraywater.
I fear it's more than a nuisance.
Anyone else here who has had that? What is your solution to get the water out again?

And the shiny foredeck. Looks excellent but I think it's dangerous, too slippery. I think all boats should have a non-slip surface on the foredeck at least where one stands around the mast tabernacle.

Anyone agreeing/disagreeing?