Author Topic: BayRaider - Early Impressions  (Read 57041 times)

Tony

Re: BayRaider - Early Impressions
« Reply #60 on: 18 May 2010, 13:41 »
Bayraider, Early Impressions?
  Phew!
Sorry to hear that you guys are having trouble with self bailers etc.
Comfort yourselves with the thought that for the rest of us the lasting impression of a Bayraider is of its stern - as it disappears at high speed over the horizon!

Craic

« Reply #61 on: 18 May 2010, 15:40 »
Here a photo of the mizzensheeting, of the permanent airvent underneath the fishfinder, and of the pump sump arrangement.

Simon Knight

« Reply #62 on: 18 May 2010, 16:51 »
Jeff,
>Will do Simon but not for a little while as 'Spark ' is 60 miles away in her summer quarters at Ashlett Creek.<

Thanks! 

Do you know if Ashlett SC are still accepting "distant" members?  I was signed in by Jim Hopwood (Drascombe Gig Hippo) some years ago and was offered membership which I foolishly did not accept :-(

Sorry for wandering off topic....
Simon
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #63 on: 18 May 2010, 17:23 »
@Claus,

You are,obviously,a most experienced SwB owner.On the subject of ballast(gold excepted):I´ve sailed,and copiously enjoyed,a heavy long keeler for 25 years (Frances 26,to be passed on to my sons.):
After much research,my quest for a suitable OAP,thin-water,sailing boat
led me to SwB.I am in the process of tormenting Matt to produce what I will eventually want,for 2011.Among bottom-line specs are stability and ease of handling.This would,from where I´m sitting(Stockholm)seem to preclude H2O ballast in favour of Pb and batteries.

We would probably also get a Storm 15 for my wife.
Would you care to offer philosophical advice on this subject?
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Jeff Curtis

« Reply #64 on: 18 May 2010, 17:46 »
Do you know if Ashlett SC are still accepting "distant" members? 

Simon

Don't really know. They accepted me and I live near Reading. And I know of another chap who comes from Loughborough. Each prospective member is interviewed by the committee and is on trial for the first year but I think if you can show a committment they are quite accomodating. But should you want one, moorings generally go to the locals and there is a long waiting list. Space ashore in the pound is also a bit tight. It's a great spot to sail from but you've got to watch the ebb; you have about 90 minutes after the second high before you are stuck in the mud.

Craic

« Reply #65 on: 18 May 2010, 20:45 »

@Claus,
...Among bottom-line specs are stability and ease of handling.This would,from where I´m sitting(Stockholm)seem to preclude H2O ballast in favour of Pb and batteries.
Would you care to offer philosophical advice on this subject?

Johan,
not here. This thread is about BayRaiders - Early Impressions. Let's stay close to that topic here. Rather open a new thread.

Simon Knight

« Reply #66 on: 09 Aug 2010, 21:57 »
Re - non slip decks.... a very good idea as I managed to fall down the outboard well.

Simon :-(
Simon Knight
BayRaider 20 No.27 - Carpe Diem
Shearwater Sailing Canoe - Eureka