Author Topic: Antifouling motor well and flaps  (Read 2368 times)

Sea Simon

Antifouling motor well and flaps
« on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:02 »
For info.

Last winter i added copperbot to my bilge sump, and the outboard motor well, so as to combat the slime when boat is left on mooring afloat.
That seems to have worked well, however it's not asthetically pleasing! But then nor was the slime?

As something of an experiment, I used up the "left over" mix on the lamnellae flaps.
Followed all prep guides, afap.

This has not worked at all, hardly any coating now remains attached.
TBH, I'm neither surprised nor disappointed.
Lots of small barnacles where it has flaked off, in some cases only 1cm or so from intact coating.
Summary: A waste of time.

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Antifouling motor well and flaps
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2020, 19:55 »
Simon,

Once your lamellae have degraded to the point where they’re causing turbulence and drag, which will happen eventually, you can plug the outboard well with a different arrangement.  Several of us have done this to good effect and there are a surprisingly large number of variations on the theme.  See https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,843.0.html

I’m sure that most of the flaps and boards would readily accept antifouling.  I haven’t done it with my infill as I’m a trailer sailer and it hasn’t been necessary so far.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2020, 09:34 »
Thanks for that GW.

I will have a look at this.
Would have been an ideal wee project for isolation, but boat is in a field a short drive from the house, my lane is too narrow to swing the boat on trailer into my driveway.

...and the world's now a very strange place indeed!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Peter T

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2020, 22:10 »
Simon

I was going to offer to post you a paper template based on my own plug until I realised that we have run out of stamps and I don't fancy going to the Post Office at the moment.  Are you able to walk to the boat with a sheet of cardboard so that you could make your own template.  Most of the rest of the job could then be done at home.

Peter