Author Topic: Cruising in comfort  (Read 3500 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Cruising in comfort
« on: 17 Apr 2020, 16:50 »
Although we’re not allowed to sail at the moment, we can still think about ways to make our boats even better when we’re back on the water once more. Camping on board during extended cruises needn’t be uncomfortable. What follows are some of my favourite cruising modifications on my BR20. Please add your own favourites to the thread.

* A dog’s bouncy ball. The BR20 spinnaker bowsprit chute on the starboard bow faces straight into the wind when at anchor. If it’s blowing a gale and raining, the bit where you sleep with your feet under the foredeck can rapidly turn into the opposite of a blow dryer. Jam a dog ball into the front end of the tube and problem solved.

* Rechargeable and magnetic LED lamps. Using next to no power, these tiny but bright lamps can be attached to small stick-on magnets wherever you care to place them about your boat (but not near the compass).  If your boat electrics run to a USB socket, they can be recharged but they’re so efficient that it doesn’t need to be done that often. The light emitted is not as cosy as a gas lamp but there is no fire risk and no fumes. These are very similar to the ones that I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashlight-Rechargeable-Charging-Equipment-Emergencies/dp/B07QDSNKCG.

* A carved wooden loo seat. When far out on the ocean wave we necessarily belong to the bucket and chuck it brigade. But we can still take our ease, instead of crouching like chimpanzees over a moving target. My carefully designed but crudely crafted marine ply seat (photo below) is rock steady, not too cold first thing in the morning and takes up little space when dismantled.

* Self-inflating mattress. Whoever invented these extraordinarily comfortable and space-saving devices deserves a medal. Tucked up in my sleeping bag on top of my mattress and gently rocked by the waves, I often sleep better than at home. I’ve heard complaints from those anchored downwind of me that I also snore like a trooper but I’m sure that this is entirely unjustified.

* Cooking apparatus. Extensively covered elsewhere on the forum - see for example https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1305.0.html

* Shower. When several of us circumnavigated Mull in 2017 (see https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=1535) it was too cold to swim or shower but I was sleeping solo so I didn’t mind too much about personal hygiene anyway. In warmer weather there are showering options that don’t use much water and take up little space when stowed. For example the typical solar shower like this one https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15899166/hi-gear-solar-shower-20-litres-15899166/. I spotted this cheap gadget the other day which I think is even cleverer and less likely to spring a fatal leak https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kurgo-Mud-Dog-Travel-Shower/dp/B00TUA98JA.

There are several books on small boat cruising to take your mind off current circumstances. I think this, by Roger Barnes, is one of the best https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-Companion-Roger-Barnes/dp/1408179164/ref=sr_1_1
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

Re: Cruising in comfort
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2020, 07:43 »
Good topic Graham.

My top-tip is don't tip important small objects down the center board slot when cooking your supper, such as your only can opener  :o.  To prevent ca-plink catastrophes, stuff something into the center board slot to block it.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys       
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2020, 17:55 »
 I quite expect to be 'moderated' some time soon for going off subject and/or introducing unseemly material. The picture of Graham W's capacious-looking loo seat brought to mind the following (which some of you may have heard before) -

- Scrawled on the wall of the 'toilet facilities' in a WWII PoW camp (in Germany)
                    'This ruddy roundhouse is no good at all,
                     The seat is too high and the hole is too small'.
             - Too which was added, in different handwriting
                    'To which I must add the obvious retort,
                     Your ass is too large and your legs are too short'.

Michael R

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2020, 22:33 »
As you are a medic Michael I'm sure we have the greatest respect for your contribution on a serious topic for cruising in comfort. 

The RNLI allegedly frequently recover bodies with open zips so use of a bucket/ centreboard or other means of keeping the operation safely within the boat is strongly recommended.         

For gentlemen I can recommend the safest and most comfortable way to pee at sea is to kneel astride the centreboard case, followed of course by a hand rinse and quick flush with a bailer. I would not dare offer any advice for ladies.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2020, 08:59 »
According to Sven Yrvind (his website has just been recommended by Mark1 in the thread ‘Inspiring Books’)  “Comfort breeds boredom and it makes you lazy and fat. Consequently it does not fulfill its purpose.”  I think he’s probably railing against watermakers and air conditioners on comfortable large yachts, rather than the more basic stuff that I appreciate on my BR20.  I may well be lazy and increasingly fat but decent equipment on Turaco is not the cause!
Graham

Martijn

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2020, 06:48 »
On my previous boat (Cornish Shrimper) the top board in the companion way was made out of Perspex and it made the cabin much brighter and cosy when staying onboard.
I was really content with this, in fact it was one of the first modifications I made to my BC23.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2020, 09:16 »
Largely due to too much "shed time", and of course NIL on-the-water time I've been making some standard mods to my BRe.
Most picked up from others here. Thanks folks!

I'd already ordered the materials for a perspex washboard (not sure how much use that will get on a BRe!) but have decide to add a stainless Louvre vent too.
My thinking being that if I'm in the situation to need more light in the tiny cabin, I will also be needing more ventilation!
Have made the cut-away,  substitute board to stow my sail pack/boom.

Have made the small bulwark cut away (at the midships cleats) wood  in-fill pieces (as per Mallory's).

Now working up a galley box, to be used outside in the cockpit. Perhaps positioned under the cockpit locker lid, so that acts as a windbreak? I think i  saw a photo of this arrangement here somewhere, but can't find now.
Any plans/suggestions/photos of a BRe cooker box/portable "galley"?
I already have a briefcase style and a backpackers (remote cylinder, on a short hose) gas stove.

Any other potential project suggestions welcome!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:58 »
Simon,

I found this, from 2013: https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,744.msg5215.html#msg5215.  I think it was later offered as an option on BRe’s.

There was also this, from 2010 https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,366.msg1742.html#msg1742
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2020, 17:12 »
Fantastic - thank you very much Graham!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rory C

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2020, 22:34 »
Possibly too late to be of assistance but this picture of the galley arrangement in Gobhlan has served Ben (pictured) and me very well. The cooker is semi-fixed by its feet slotting into home built athwartship supports as high up as possible in the locker. It stays in situ throughout a cruise. The space underneath is used for 5 litre water carriers. Aft of the cooker we have two tote boxes that happily are a snug fit in the locker. I've made mermaid board tops for them which act as "work surfaces". The sit with their tops level with the top of the locker side and can be lifted out without too much difficulty. We can also stow smaller clip-top boxes for biscuits sweets etc in the space under the coaming. In practice the starboard cockpit locker is dedicated to food and water. The combination of the sprayhood and raised locker lid make a good windbreak for the cooker.
Frustratingly Gobhlan is still locked down in her winter quarters and I haven't managed even any garden sailing yet.
Rory

Sea Simon

« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2020, 13:49 »
Thanks Rory,

Your details have at least  least provided "proof of concept"!
I have a box stove like yours, and also a camping stove with a remote canister on a short hose. A two burner set up for me then?

Wife was delighted when i mentioned i was going to build a hand made, bespoke, semi fitted kitchen, from recycled materials.

Less so when she realised it was to fit inside a locker in the cockpit of my boat, and made out of what ever I have lying about in my sheds...
...From Oct 22.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2020, 15:02 »
Rory’s neat solution would also work in a BR20’s locker.

I’ve just come across profile gauge tools, which would surely help with mapping out the correct plywood shape to fit snugly against the hull.  Something like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitres-Tile-file-Gauge-300mm/dp/B0001P15VW/ref=pd_bxgy_2/260-2227111-6731212
Graham

Matthew P

« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2020, 22:40 »
How to sleep in comfort.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

Graham W