Author Topic: BRe Cuddy space  (Read 2433 times)

Ketchup

BRe Cuddy space
« on: 31 May 2020, 11:39 »
I wonder if anyone could guide me on the space available inside the cuddy cabin, I am 6'4" and am curios as to whether or not I could sit upright and lie flat.  There seems to be little in the way of photographs of the BRe Cuddy, I fear that's because it is so small...

charliea

Re: BRe Cuddy space
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2020, 18:58 »
Hi Ketchup

6' 4" might be a bit tight, there's an old thread below that answers the same question and gives some measurements.

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php?topic=1350.2

I tend to sail with my wife and two kids, so we sleep in the cockpit and the kids (10 and 12) go in the cuddy. That works fine but I think two bigish adults in the cuddy would be tedious after a couple of nights, particularly if you've got much stuff in there as well.

Personally I reckon a cockpit tent is definitely the way to go if you're planning extended trips for more than one. Having said that, we spent one very wet and blowy night on Mull with all four of us in the cuddy when it was clear the tent would not survive the night. It was truly awful, although the kids slept right through. For our next long trip I'll try and remember to pack bivi bags so Ann and I never have to repeat the experience.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Ketchup

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2020, 06:57 »
Thanks Charlie, much appreciated.

Doug

Rory C

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2020, 17:31 »
The cuddy space is extremely comfortable and functional for a crew of 2. My son Ben and I have done week long cruises in each of the last 5 years without any second thoughts. I'm 6ft and he is a couple of inches taller I think. You can avoid 'footsie' by having a bag of spare clothes to act as a mini bolster. The key to pleasant cruising is the spray hood and although we have fitted out a 3m x 3m tarp to make a simple cockpit tent, we have rarely used it. It is perfectly possible to sit up (with your legs horizontal unless you move the cushions and infills around the mast support) but the cosiest position for reading is under the spray hood leaning against the bulkhead. We always prefer to be at anchor and therefore head to wind. Before you sleep in the boat on a tidal beach do consider carefully when the tide will float you off or on, it can be bouncy!
Another tip is to ensure that your water ballast is completely full (stand on the foredeck when it fills the last bit to make sure that there are no air bubbles left in the forward part of the tank. The first night I spent in Gobhlan was alongside a jetty parallel with shore of Ullswater and every time the boat rolled, even slightly, bubbles gurgled to and fro inches from my ear!
I posted a couple of photos to the recent thread about comfort in BRs which show how the spray hood covers any galley action.
Good luck and fair winds when you get afloat.
Rory