Author Topic: BR20 Rudder  (Read 3258 times)

plasticpaddy

BR20 Rudder
« on: 25 May 2020, 13:14 »
Does anyone know of any either V or U shaped rollers that the uphaul and downhaul lines on the rudder control can be got. I find my lines tend to roll to one side or the other and get caught between the rollers and the stock.
Something similar to the attached, but that would fit in place of the current 'rubber wheel'
Bayraider 20 "Meg"
Sailing the South West of Ireland

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BR20 Rudder
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2020, 08:31 »
Do you have a photo of the bit that’s causing the problem?  I’m wondering if a piece of hardware is missing.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

plasticpaddy

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2020, 17:14 »
Hi
Attached is a photo of the lines coming through from the rudder up to the tiller. The rubber wheel allows the slides to run across the roller and do get caught where the wee meets the rudder stock.
Bayraider 20 "Meg"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2020, 20:29 »
That looks fairly non-standard to me.  You should have a row of four hard plastic sheaves on that bolt, instead of what you have (see photo).  Only two of the sheaves are actually used but the ridges on the others stop the string from going walkabout.  Each of mine has a diameter of approx 26mm and is approx 11mm wide.  Barton 64800?  The important thing is that they all fit together in the space (46mm wide) without any gaps.  I think the sheaves are the same size as the ones under the oarlock bases.
Graham

david

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 23:10 »
My set up is the same as Grahams in my BayRaider. Looks like it mat have been changed out.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2020, 13:35 »
My BRe is the same as GW and David.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Llafurio

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2020, 16:52 »
All the early BRs had that black plastic drum instead of the 4 sheaves. Up to hull No. 20 or so. C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

plasticpaddy

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jun 2020, 07:49 »
Thankscagain formally your help. Such a great help. My hull number is 20!
Does anyone know where I can get the sheaves. Looked at my local chandelier (Ireland)online and can't see any other than those in blocks. Also looked at force4. Marinespares show them, but not sure they keep in stock as it says to enquire.
Bayraider 20 "Meg"

Matthew P

« Reply #8 on: 01 Jun 2020, 09:30 »
My BR20 is hull #23 and had a simple black drum which I replaced with nylon pulley wheels.

I can't remember where I got them but this looks promising:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-72-mm-BARTON-MARINE-White-Nylon-Pulley-Sheave-Bearing-All-Sizes-UK-SELLER/362703458906?hash=item5472cf925a:m:mMPiEkk30wC-Z11FII4lVpg&var=631859077280

Matthew
BR20 #23 Gladys 
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2020, 11:24 »
I think it’s the first one on Matthew’s link, part 64800.
Graham

Llafurio

« Reply #10 on: 01 Jun 2020, 12:25 »
Thankscagain formally your help. Such a great help. My hull number is 20!
Does anyone know where I can get the sheaves. Looked at my local chandelier (Ireland)online and can't see any other than those in blocks. Also looked at force4. Marinespares show them, but not sure they keep in stock as it says to enquire.

P.,
you have several alternative options.:

1. Take the black drum out and put in on a lathe in order to cut two grooves. Harald at Rossdohan could do that, or I at Derryquin. Though, I am in isolation until June 8th. .

2. Take the black drum out, cut it in two halves, and when reassembling it on the horizontal bolt, put some s/s washers in between, so as to minimise the gap on the outer edges.

3. On the later BRs, the rudder out- and downhaul were no longer led to the outer shoulders of the tiller, but through two blocks which were hung right underneath the tiller. And a pulley block with 2:1 purchase was introduced to halve the uphaul force. You could retrofit that arrangement too.

C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan