Author Topic: BC23 Centre Main  (Read 2513 times)

Ketchup

BC23 Centre Main
« on: 31 May 2020, 11:35 »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has put a centre main on a BC23, all of the pictures and movie clips I have seen appear to be rear main.

Rob Johnstone

Re: BC23 Centre Main
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2020, 16:45 »
There's been one that I know of: Peter Saxton had one fitted to his BC 23 - Breeze II of Rhee.  It was fitted by the yard to his specification when the boat was built in about 2015. He took her to Mylor for a couple of years - the last time was in 2018 and I think he has subsequently sold her.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Ketchup

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2020, 07:07 »
Hi Rob
I have seen Breeze II in the YouTube clips and was convinced it was so am glad that you have confirmed it.  I was hoping for a picture of the interior so am hopeful that someone on here might have one?

Am also curious as to why the main was ran back to the transom (like on my Wayfarer or a laser which catch on the transom) but on the BRe the Main Sheet simply runs off a block mid boom.  Any  thoughts anyone?

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2020, 13:54 »
Am also curious as to why the main was ran back to the transom (like on my Wayfarer or a laser which catch on the transom) but on the BRe the Main Sheet simply runs off a block mid boom.  Any  thoughts anyone?
Cockpit space in general and the risk of tangling lines and feet in case you have one or more person(s) sitting on leeward side.
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Peter Taylor

« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2020, 14:49 »
In olden days the mainsheet ran to the transom and when tacking (in a dinghy) you faced the stern as you crossed the boat, swapping hands for the sheet and tiller on the way. The Laser and Wayfarer are (supposedly) One Design boats dating from those days. Then people realised that with a central sheet you could have less rope to pull in and you could face forward as you tacked making close manoeuvres around a racing mark easier. You have to do a bit of slight of hand behind your back but one soon gets used to that! So boats taking their design pedigree from racing tend to have a central mainsheet. However it limits the cockpit space so cruising boats tend to stick with an aft mainsheet.

I'm sure everyone will tell me I'm wrong!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Ray S

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2020, 17:53 »
I checked with the new owner and he is happy for me to send a picture of his arrangement. His comment was that "Tacking can be a bit of a dance when more than two up!"

Ray S
BRe 047 'Whimbrel'