Author Topic: New BayCruiser 23 - Suggestions?  (Read 2311 times)

Mark Hamillstewart

New BayCruiser 23 - Suggestions?
« on: 12 Jun 2020, 07:28 »
Following guarded approval from my better half, I am on the point of paying a deposit for a new BayCruiser 23. This forum has been very useful in providing owner's advice in an informative, articulate and sometimes humorous way. Once built I hope to base her in Falmouth (on the St Mawes side) but am looking forward to trailing her all around the UK.  It has been a couple of years since very helpful suggestions were provided by other Swallow yacht owners on what to get and what to avoid. Any updated advice will be greatly appreciated, particularly on what would need to be done by Swallow Yachts during construction.
BC23 Mary-Lou No 72

JGBaynton

Re: New BayCruiser 23 - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2020, 21:34 »
Hi,
This would have been our third season with our BC23 if we ever get to sail and I would be happy to send you the "Owners perspective" I wrote for Swallow Yachts after our first year on the water. (You may have already been sent it by Lara). We have trailed and launched her in many different places and over two years spent over 50 nights on board.
Things I have changed so far include fitting a two speed winch with brake. Saves a lot of effort during recovery and the brake stops the winch running out too far when launching. I have had fitted a 4:1 kicking strap. The one it came meant I often ended up having to use the winch. I have a mast lifting pole without which I would not be able to raise and lower the mast.(picture attached) Makes life easy. I have two batteries and solar panels and I now have shore power (well a version of that ) using the same battery charger that Swallow use. It cost around £100 somewhat cheaper than Swallow's.
Things I wish I had opted for. Teak woodwork for ease of maintenance and appearance. I would also like to have been able to switch the lights over the Vee berth independently; we sleep up there.
If you would like to chat about anything let me know and I'll give you my tel number.
Jonathan
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

JGBaynton

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2020, 16:12 »
One more thing: Self tailing winches, essential! (if that is how you spell it)
Jonathan Baynton
BC23 KESTREL

Mark Hamillstewart

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2020, 09:10 »
Thank you very much Jonathan and Martijn. Very useful in addition to the amazing amount of information available from Andy Dingle and Peter Taylor among others.  Jonathan, I am currently overseas but hope to return to UK in mid July to do my quarantine and hopefully some sailing. I may contact you for a chat when I am back.
BC23 Mary-Lou No 72