Author Topic: Doh!  (Read 2224 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Doh!
« on: 19 Jul 2020, 14:36 »
This (below) is what happens when you use a handy billy to manoeuvre your boat into the garage and then try to drive it out again the next day, forgetting that the stern is still firmly attached to the back of the garage.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Martijn

Re: Doh!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2020, 09:17 »
My heart goes out to you Graham.
Reminds me when I was younger and used exactly the same technique (only intentional) to 'correct' a dent in the back of our car by attaching it to the garage wall in order to pulling it out.
Fixed the dent, nearly ruined the clutch... ;)
BC23 #54 "Riff Raff"

Ape Ears

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2020, 10:10 »
Stern warning required. If you use warped ideas be careful you don't get screwed. Remember if you back it in, not to bracket out again! Sorry.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Matthew P

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2020, 11:02 »
Thank you for sharing your Doh! moment Graham, we can all learn and avoid similar mistakes.

One of my more notable Doh! moments was being swept by currents into a French warship.  Gladys still bears the scars on the rear rail, similar to Graham’s. I was too busy filming to see what was happening and the helmsman was busy playing with a jury-rigged spinnaker. I was the skipper, so it was my fault. My Royal Navy ancestors would be disgusted – unless the warship (which was a Napoleonic replica) had sunk in consequence.

Competent sailors may be appalled but in my opinion one of the joys of amateur boating is the potential for unpredictable incidents.  I don’t know any fellow sailor worth knowing who has not experienced a Doh! moment or two.

That is not to say we should not be responsible and seek to identify and minimise risk but if we want a risk-free life then stick to golf and gardening. What is any adventure worth if the outcome is totally safe and predictable?

In case insurance companies see this post as a premium increasing opportunity I’d like to make clear I’ve not yet made a claim in 40 years of incident-rich but mostly safe boating.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

graham2burton65@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2020, 19:50 »

Hehe...

is it confession time?
my most recent... what more than one?
new , to me, boat.

I have trailed light dinghies a lot but never with a breakaway cable...carefully manoeuvred new boat in behind the hedge.
lower jockey wheel, tick
release hitch....tick
remove electric plug.....tick
even support rear of boat trailer on axle stands...tick

remove brake way cable before driving away?  FAIL!!

the result balancing of forces eventually balanced out and no harm done.  but you do go through a range of emotions....of the what if variety. I think it might be prudent to replace the cable, it may have been stress tested!!

thanks for sharing.
Graham B