Author Topic: swallow storm  (Read 2225 times)

Nick Ward

swallow storm
« on: 16 Aug 2020, 13:13 »
I have just acquired this swallow storm from a friend who built it a few years back. Please could someone confirm whether this is a petrel? Originally I thought it was a storm 15 but gather from the little information I have found online that the storm 15 has capacity for up to 6 adults which this smaller boat clearly does not! It is not much shorter in length, 14 foot excluding rudder. So if it is a petrel I would appreciate  any pointers to further information. Many thanks
I will also need a cover once I know which boat we have!

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: swallow storm
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2020, 11:25 »
I can't definitively answer your question, but the first link below takes you to a page on this website that lists the specs for each Swallow. That might help you work out what you have. The Storm Petrel weighed just 48kg and was designed to be car toppable whereas the Storm 15 weighs double that, so the weight as well as the dimensions might help you. If you look in the "Magazines and Websites" section of the Library (second link below), there are reviews of the Storm Petrel and Storm 17 (but not the 15). There aren't any pictures but the descriptions may help you, or at least prove interesting. I think you're right that this is a Storm Petrel because it's got an unstayed mast and no mizzen. Whatever it is, she looks a lovely boat and in great condition.

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=132

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=262
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Nick Ward

Re: swallow storm
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2020, 14:51 »
Many thanks for this. From what I can see I am pretty sure it is a petrel, as it is light, and has room for two at a squeeze! It also has boyancy fore and aft and not under the seats as a storm 15 appears to have. I have not tried her out yet, but several posts suggest she is likely to be rather tippy so we will just have to see how she sails, having been used to a GP14 and topper in the past, although I have sailed a laser a few times. All this was several years ago when the children were young!