Author Topic: Marine Fouling - Exceptional 2020 Season?  (Read 2065 times)

Sea Simon

Marine Fouling - Exceptional 2020 Season?
« on: 23 Aug 2020, 09:30 »
Had cause to have a good post-storm look at my boat/mooring on the dry sand bank at very low tides this week.

Despite my relatively late launch, there seems to be an unusually high level of marine fouling here this season. Mostly small barnacles, and those were almost all attached to my stainless bilge runner protectors, and the motor well flaps (including its plastic "frame"). the frame and flaps were very heavily fouled.
Note to self re mid-season scrape off next year.

It took me over an hour, the full window of tidal opportunity available, to clean it all off; even then the flaps could do with another session!

My boat has CopperCoat, which generally was acceptably clean, just a few small barnacles on the hull near the runners, and a bit of slime.
As mentioned in another post, I have in the past attempted to CopperCoat my flaps (with "left-overs"); spectacularly unsuccessful!
That CopperCoat added to the interior of the motor well has been successful.

Has anyone else noticed similar fouling issues this year?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.