Author Topic: Help. Jib Sail for BR20 Desperately Needed  (Read 1831 times)

JonnieandDee

Help. Jib Sail for BR20 Desperately Needed
« on: 21 Jun 2022, 10:18 »
My jib sail escaped from its moorings during Saturday’s storms and the leech and tack flogged themselves to virtual destruction.

Swallow Yachts have quoted me 8 weeks for a new tan sail from the sailmakers in the Phillipines - so any sail will do to ensure I can get some sailing in this season, although I would obviously prefer a matching tan sail for such a beautiful boat.

Thank you all.

Jonnie

Jonnie Taylor
Bayraider20 Proper Job, Restronguet Creek

Tel: 01872 863899
Mob & WhatsApp: 07840 41978

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Help. Jib Sail for BR20 Desperately Needed
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2022, 12:52 »
Jonnie,

I think the sails come from the Philippines (Cebu), unless the supplier has changed from Hyde.

Anyway, I have a fairly old Dolphin self-tacking tan-coloured jib that you can borrow while your new one is sorted out.  If Proper Job is the same vintage as my BR20 (2010), it may even match your other sails.

I’ll be down your way from 10th July but I suspect that that won’t be soon enough.  Post?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

JonnieandDee

Re: Help. Jib Sail for BR20 Desperately Needed
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2022, 13:55 »
Graham. 

That would be fantastic.  Proper Job is a 2010 boat so probably identical to yours.  It used to belong to Steve Collett.

If you could get it to me before then that would rescue my sailing season.  I am extraordinarily grateful.  Could you let me have your bank account details and I’ll do a BACS transfer for the postage costs and give you our addresss.

My email is: jonnie@letcombe.co.uk.  My phone details are as above.

You were very helpful when I first bought Proper Job and was having great difficulty raising the mainsail.  I inserted a pulley in the sheave and that, in conjunction with a topping lift, sorted it.

You must be right about the sail manufacturer.  I must have misheard Lara at Swallow Yachts when I was talking to her yesterday on the telephone

Many thanks again.

Jonnie ????

Sea Simon

Just a suggestion...

Despite being very lightly used, my Hyde furling jib had spent so long (perhaps too tightly?) Furled, that the set, to me, was unacceptable.
Afaik, we're not required to use only Hyde sails?
I got a local sailmaker to make a replacement, as (for two boats) I've not been impressed with Hyde contract sails. My main was also never up to much, for a similarly lightly used sail...imho. Ok,  maybe a "bad workman's  tools etc?
I believe i got a better sail, for a slightly better price, and sooner too.
I keep this new jib for "best" and don't furl it/leave it up when moored.
Having been significantly exposed to the "benefits" (for my employers!) Of globalisation throughout my career (latterly a UAE based Engineering Co, Jersey UK presence, the facility/plant owned in Panama. Of course, employees must pay UK tax & NI!) I like to try to support local trades where possible.

The local guy must be there when i need a repair.
For instance, he recently replaced the UV strip on my original jib, promptly, and for a reasonable price.

If I don't change boats meanwhile, I'll be tempted to go to him for a new main over the winter. Assuming there is some availability of cream cloth by that time. How's that going with your new BC 23 Mark D?

Worth you asking about, perhaps while you have the loan sail as a pattern? You may be pleasantly surprised with price/time?
I think SKB in Falmouth have a good rep.
We have had some very good, large and high tech Doyle sails via Sailtech in Penryn (then Doyle agents). Excellent after sales.
Ftaod...No connection at all.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.