Author Topic: BC 23 - Cooking  (Read 2285 times)

janeyshotley

BC 23 - Cooking
« on: 21 Sep 2020, 18:50 »
I have Janey under construction with Swallow .Sail No. 66. A single gas burner stove would be adequate for simple food, kettle, toast BUT none of the Camping stoves eg Bright Spark or CampingGaz have a 'Cut Off Device'
I am concerned with flame failure. Whereas I could/ would be careful and observant I am worried that if other members of my family who I want to use the boat, occasionally,  it is a risk that concerns me. Any guidance, please. Janey will be based in Harwich Harbour.  Ian Young

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: BC 23 - Cooking
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2020, 07:39 »
I can't think of any camping stove that has a safety device and, despite that, a camping stove is probably best on a BC23. I've also never had a caming stave flame blow out, but I take your point. On our BC26 we have a Dometik twin hob that does have this feature. They also make a single burner hob (link below). You might need to look at options such as these to get a cut out feature. The downside of these hobs, apart from being larger, is that they use Camping Gaz cylinders and, I think, gas rules may mean these have to be stored in a gas locker. I'm sure there's spare on a BC23 for that but it's something to discuss with Matt.

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Dometic/Free-Standing-Cookers/FW9
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2020, 08:07 »
There are a few "free standing" models about with flame failure devices.
 There is already a thread about something like this on here somewhere, but perhaps not specifically relating to a BC23?
I think it was for putting stoves on BRs? I cribbed from that, so as to rig my stove in a cockpit locker. Thanks!

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Bright-Spark/Portable-Gas-Cooker-wFlame-Failure-Stainless-Steel/FZ4

Stainless £40. Is this what you're after?

I understand fixed/fully plumbed in systems can become extremely problematic (surveys/inspections/certification) on inland waterways, such as canals/lakes/ N broads etc?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:22 »
Here’s a link to an old post by Peter Taylor on the subject https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1305.msg9363.html#msg9363
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Martin Bevan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2020, 11:26 »
We took delivery of BC23 #65 in the week before the bank holiday, delayed by the virus from mid April. We launched it at Wolverstone,  had 3 days sailing and due to domestic medical issues unfortunately it is now off the water until next year.

On recommendation from various sources I purchased a BrightSpark cooker that has, to the best of my knowledge, a flame failure device (not tested in anger). This uses the standard canisters and produces a good heat.

Matt produced a tray for the galley that the cooker is bolted to and this can be lifted out into the cockpit if required. The cooker tray has adjustable pan holders to make sure that the kettle does not become self launching, there being a danger of this even at anchor, or at our club marina from the wash of passing boats and ships.

BrightSpark were supplied from a small family firm but their business has passed to one of the big marine wholesalers. The stoves are listed by Force 4 among others. I obtained a fully stainless steel one of the correct model from eBay, I suspect this was remaindered stock acquired when the importer changed.

On an associated matter, we can recommend a silicon folding kettle as a practical space saving addition. There are two different patterns generally available. We have tried both. The Outwell 2.5 l one is by far the best and safest in use. Wow Camping currently have them on offer in lurid green or modest black.

Peter Taylor has posted useful info to the forum on cookers, gas etc. in the past   

I hope that helps.

Martin Bevan
BC23 #65 Caduceus IV