Author Topic: BRe Modified for Open Sea Crossings  (Read 2821 times)

Llafurio

BRe Modified for Open Sea Crossings
« on: 23 Sep 2020, 20:17 »
Hi Denis,

here the photo of the boat I mentioned, of a former ocean rowing boat with a sailing rig put atop. Was not a great success I understand because the boat was too tippy. My own approach was to convert a BRe to an ocean rowing boat.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

tcave

Re: BRe Modified for Open Sea Crossings
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 06:38 »
 I love this crazy idea. Please blog about your long distance BRe adventures.

Matthew P

« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2020, 10:11 »
Having been out-performed by Homer on an English Raid I don't think she is a crazy idea.

LLafurio, could you give us more details  of Homer's specification, modifications (including pictures) and use please?   And have you conducted any capsize trials?

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 01 Oct 2020, 19:49 »
Hi, Claus.
Any planned  voyages in "Homer" you'd like to share with us?

PS I haven't swapped "Four Sisters" for something easier to sail yet!

Llafurio

« Reply #4 on: 04 Oct 2020, 08:34 »
Hi Matthew, hi Tony,

wrote a detailed response this morning but lost it all again frustratingly when trying to attach photos of the classic British Rowing Lifeboat, which had been inspiring me to the centre cockpit mod of the BRe. The design principle of the raised buoyancy at bow and stern in connection with low buoyancy midships is the key to unaided self-righting of all shallow draught boats, rowing or sailing.
Here at least are the photos in question.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Matthew P

« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2020, 18:24 »
Hi Claus   

As you know, I have an interest in self-righting boats - I might even be the founder-member (publicly, at least) of the turtle club :-[.

The lifeboat illustrations begin to make your point.  I think many of us have also "lost" laboriously written text, so you have our sympathy. Please re-write your description and experiences - perhaps drafted on a word processor first.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tim Riley

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2020, 19:45 »
Talking of modified boats, I passed an ocean rowing boat that had been converted to pedal power with two people pedalling. I had often thought of that as a radical idea for a bayraider but seeing that they were only able to manage about 2kn I think that is left well alone. They were trying to circumnavigate wales and had come from somewhere in the Thames valley I think. We saw them in the middle of the firing range off south Pembrokeshire. They managed to hold up firing for some hours as they forced their “right of passage” not sure how they got on afterwards.
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

MarkDarley

« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2021, 18:39 »
Tim,
I have never heard of a "right of passage" over a firing range.  Those off the Dorset coast are sometimes enforced by the Navy.  Please elaborate, though I am not sure I am the Russian Roulette type when it comes to shells!
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!