Author Topic: End of the season in the end of days  (Read 2234 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
End of the season in the end of days
« on: 09 Oct 2020, 11:50 »
I notice on the Medway that a lot of keelboats are already being taken out of the water for the winter.  Many of their owners are Londoners who anticipate being told fairly soon that they are only allowed to make essential journeys.

I’ve only had a few sails this year and aim to keep going until at least the end of the month before sticking the boat back in the garage.  If Covid looks like shutting us down in Kent, which appears unlikely so far, I only need a couple of hours’ notice to get the boat home. 

This is the time of the year when huge flocks of geese, ducks and waders fly into the estuary from the Arctic tundra and I’m looking forward to seeing them in creeks that I have all to myself.  Now all I need is a sustained improvement in the weather.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

MarkDarley

Re: End of the season in the end of days
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2020, 15:34 »
Suzanne and I are here in Devon later than in previous years, and despite the wind and rain, we are loving it. 
I have been getting out on the Dart and Start Bay quite often in all conditions (see folded mizzen mast) and Pippin is proving a worthy vessel.  I make a point of taking her out in challenging conditions on the river to test all systems so that I know all is well when I go offshore. She is perfectly happy beating to windward in 30 knots with ballast, and jib and mizzen, in a substantial chop and if the wind is not sustained, can handle a deep reefed main.  After the mizzen folded in the river the other day (new windsurf rig already sourced), I found she handled well with no mizzen, and with ballast she simply proved slower to tack and point up again, but actually sailed well in the 20 knots I was left with later in the day.

The Dart in October is simply lovely. The colour in the landscape, quality of light, and lack of traffic makes each day a treat.

In California I love winter sailing on the northern estuaries. They are full of wildlife and everyone else seems to think that sailing is a summer sport. Suits me fine.

Take it into the winter!

Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2020, 18:08 »
I’ve given up on the weather for the time being and brought my boat home before another lockdown prevents me from getting to it.  If Covid conditions allow and the jetstream moves away, I can always go back.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2020, 11:35 »
Lockdown - here we go again...

I hauled out yesterday, not that I've managed to get much sailing during what has here generally been quite a stormy October.

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.