Author Topic: Trailer alignment on retrieve  (Read 2763 times)

Baycruiser23

Trailer alignment on retrieve
« on: 07 Nov 2020, 18:06 »
We have just retrieved our BC23 for the first time on our trailer which was overall a good experience. But we do realise that with a cross current additional guides to the rear of the trailer would help get the “exact” central alignment. Any tips on additional guide rollers. From the pre-lock down queue of everyone loading in a hurry “Roller bunk” and “Floating poles” were recommended...?

Sea Simon

Re: Trailer alignment on retrieve
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2020, 19:07 »
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Baycruiser23

« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2020, 20:01 »
Hi Simon,
Many thanks - the BC23 is possibly wider midships and then tapers down to the stern so I am not sure if the Floatem poles can work? I wonder if adding additional guide rollers to “catch” the  keel fins on the underside will give the necessary guidance - excuse basic terms! Many thanks Chris

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2020, 21:54 »
My experience with the BC23 was that it was useful to have a long line on the "upstam" (or upwind) stern cleat under the charge of a willing helper standing as far away to the upwind side of the trailer was enough. The next key thing was to pull her in quickly. Once the bow was caught by the tilting rollers at the rear of the trailer the boat tended to straighten up.
Once I had fited an electric winch to the trailer, I found I could dispense with the helper. At the expense of wet feet, I could get up close and personal with the bow as it came up onto the rollers and heft it over the bottom of the swinging beam. Then winch then pulled it straight.
I'd be careful about fiddling around with extra rollers. If they start to interfere with the "bilge keels", you'll find launching to be a nightmare.  You can see an example of  interference at
http://vagabond-round-britain.blogspot.com/2015/
and a noisey video or the electric winch at work at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ntv4p457b6sqpr/operation.mp4?dl=0

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 09 Nov 2020, 09:12 »
Hi there BC23,

The BRe also tapers in towards the stern; I would think most similar boats do?

I have mounted the floatem poles as far aft on the trailer as I could manage. It appears to me that once the wider mid-body is centralised, the rest goes OK? Meaning the boat seems to be reasonably centralised, while still afloat.
The aft extremity of the boat does not encounter the floatem poles, until after the broadest part of the mid body has already become centralised, hopefully with most load being taken by the keel rollers.

Added, for clarity, I hope...
When the bow is snug against the stop post, the floatem poles are still well forward of the aft cleats. This due to overhang on the trailer (a standard Swallow trailer, but with added keel roller f'ord, and floatem poles). Therefore, the taper of the breadth of the stern is not an issue as far as floatem poles go.

I have recovered in strong cross winds, but my limited variation in sailing locations means I have managed to generally avoid strong cross tide/current.
One thing I still tend to forget, is to put all the fenders inside the boat, once "started" onto the trailer!
Floatem poles mean that recovery impossible with fenders out... obviously!

However, the above said, I have no experience of a BC 23; their owners will be best placed to advise.

A problem I am still having, is that one set (the right hand set, looking forward, from aft end of trailer) of aft wobble rollers seem to always interfere with the stbd side self bailer. I've tried measuring up, adjustments of various kinds and can't find a way to get it so that boat is supported evenly, centrally, remaining level P/S - and with both of the two self bailers clear of the wobble rollers.
Frustrating!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2020, 15:14 »
Photo of floatem pole seems to have worked, I'll try another?

Photos picked so as to illustrate the "tuck" of the stern on the BRe.
How does this compare with the BC 23?

Ref last para, on my last post...
I've become convinced that either my boat or my trailer is perhaps bent or twisted. Pretty sure its the sh1tty trailer!

In order to attempt to solve the roller/bailer conflict, I've given up on symmetry, and aligned "to fit".
...From Oct 22.

Baycruiser23

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2020, 16:13 »
Many thanks - photos really useful to see and I think we will get the trailer modifications underway this winter.
Electric winch seems very tempting to give an extra pair of hands if needed for stage 3!
As we ended up submerging the trailer wheels due to a very shallow ramp are there any deep salt washing techniques i should be using to make sure the brakes etc are all flushed out? Pressure washed so far but maybe more needed?
Thanks for all advice.

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2020, 10:21 »
Of course, I can't speak for a BC23, BC23, but on my BRe...

You shouldn't need to wet the wheel hubs, I find wetting as far as the tyre is enough to haul out, even on very shallow slopes.
Empty the water ballast, ideally before winching, but at the very least allow it to run away as you haul out. Remember to allow for air addmitance. Easily forgotten!

The last time i wet my hubs it was because i was hauling out alone, easy enough, but i was delayed getting back to the slipway. Tide had come in meanwhile and covered one hub (not square on to slipway/slipway not "level"!).
I had noted that there is a small rubber bung on the rear (inside) faceplate of the hub/brake. I believe this is intended to allow brake adjustment/checking linings?
I removed this bung and was able to insert a fresh water hose nozzle, and so power flush inside the brake drum.
You will get VERY wet. Not ideal but better than leaving hubs/brakes wet with salt water.

Some trailers (not my CLH) are permanently fitted with similar flushing points, piped to a hose connection at the draw bar. My pal has this set up, very easy. You can see the idea if you google trailer hub flush kit. Eg...

https://www.trailertek.com/brand/al-ko/al-ko-brake-flushing-kit-single-axle?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d4hXw5-UoioyQhAd_C2nuag4mcmDCQ1nRMfORLJ6NvaIIfKodFfSFRoCgE0QAvD_BwE
Maybe next year????
...From Oct 22.