Author Topic: Wanted - Oars, asymmetric spinaker and sprit  (Read 3841 times)

Tim Leary

Wanted - Oars, asymmetric spinaker and sprit
« on: 04 Jan 2021, 01:01 »
Looking for the above to suit 2010 BR20.
Thanks,
Tim Leary

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Wanted - Oars, asymmetric spinaker and sprit
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2021, 17:05 »
Tim,

Do you know what length oars and bowsprit you are looking for?

The standard oars for a BR20 are a bit less than 9ft long but, depending on which part of the boat you are rowing from, more efficient oars are quite a bit longer. 

There are two choices for the bowsprit - a wooden one fixed to the foredeck, the end held down by a bobstay, as on a BRe; or a carbon fibre pole run out through a hole on the starboard side of the bow.  Your asymmetric luff may then need to reflect the length of your sprit.  Earlier BR20’s had very long carbon fibre poles as sprits and I think it was decided that they were a bit too long, so were shortened on more recent boats. 
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Matthew P

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2021, 18:30 »
Hi Tim   

I have a spare BR20 asymetric spinnaker in good condition that might suit you.  Please message me on this forum at mpeacock if you are interested.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tim Leary

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2021, 23:13 »
Tim,

Do you know what length oars and bowsprit you are looking for?

The standard oars for a BR20 are a bit less than 9ft long but, depending on which part of the boat you are rowing from, more efficient oars are quite a bit longer. 

There are two choices for the bowsprit - a wooden one fixed to the foredeck, the end held down by a bobstay, as on a BRe; or a carbon fibre pole run out through a hole on the starboard side of the bow.  Your asymmetric luff may then need to reflect the length of your sprit.  Earlier BR20’s had very long carbon fibre poles as sprits and I think it was decided that they were a bit too long, so were shortened on more recent boats.
Hi Graham,
Oars I have read are best at 12ft for midshipsrowing position which I will have.
The bow sprit, I would like the length currently recommended if possible.
It’s all new to me!
Thanks for your reply.

Tim Leary

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2021, 23:19 »
Hi Tim   

I have a spare BR20 asymetric spinnaker in good condition that might suit you.  Please message me on this forum at mpeacock if you are interested.

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
pM sent thanks!

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 2021, 08:55 »

Oars I have read are best at 12ft for midshipsrowing position which I will have.

It depends a bit on what you intend to do with your boat.  If you’re going to be a sail & oar raid racer, then 12ft oars may be the best choice.  However, you’ll probably be limited to getting them in carbon fibre, which is incredibly expensive, unless you can find some suitable cast-offs from a local rowing club.

Oars for cruising and weekending don’t need to be 12ft long but I think the standard <9ft oars are too short and inefficient.  If you can find anyone in the UK who stock them, I’d go for 3.3m Lahna Seagrade oars (or similar), made in Finland. See http://www.lahnakoski.fi/oars/.  Or keep an eye on eBay for old oars - long ones occasionally come up for sale.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tim Leary

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 2021, 10:34 »
That’s great information!
Thank you very much for taking the time.
Best regards,
Tim.

Tim Leary

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2021, 15:03 »
I now have a pair of 3.0m / 10ft Lahnakoski oars from www.Gaelforcemarine.co.uk - £65 each, and have happily purchased an asymmetric from a member of this Forum.
So job done - Just need to be allowed to travel to pick up my new BR20!

RichardandJeni

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2021, 10:38 »
Hi Tim,
Hope you are able to collect you BR20 soon!
Would you please let us know how you get on with the oars, we plan to get some for our BRE (due to be ready late summer) and are interested as to how you get on with them, thanks..
Richard & Jeni..

Tim Leary

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2021, 14:56 »
Thanks and will do! As soon as this pesky virus sets sail!

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2021, 15:08 »
I now have a pair of 3.0m / 10ft Lahnakoski oars from www.Gaelforcemarine.co.uk - £65 each, and have happily purchased an asymmetric from a member of this Forum.
So job done - Just need to be allowed to travel to pick up my new BR20!

Hi Tim

Be interested to know the build spec of your new BR20, eg larger jib set on bowsprit, self tacking, main sail type, etc just for own curiosity on what is becoming the standard build.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Tim Leary

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2021, 05:34 »
All original rig with wood mast and sprit, with a brand new unused main, due previous owners used the smaller main and smaller sprit which I also now have.
I'm trying to tune her for the full size main.
Getting to know rig more intimately now - See Technical area of forum! (It's been a slow process!)
Cheers,
Tim