Author Topic: PBO review of BRE, plus a plug for the PressReader app  (Read 9782 times)

Julian Merson

Just thought I'd draw attention to two things:
Most importantly, the excellent write-up of the BayRaider Expedition in April's edition of Practical Boat Owner.  Nothing contentious; just a very positive review under the 'Used boats' articles.

Secondly, being a skinflint, I access PBO these days digitally and for free.  I use the PressReader App, in conjunction with my local library card number.  You just have to refresh the account every couple of months by pressing a button.  The app provides daily access to excellent quality, scanned editions of a wide range of current newspapers and magazines, both national and international.

Currently, the March, April and May editions of PBO are available. They usually maintain access to the latest three, although they are sometimes quite late in making them available.
Some other nautical media there too, mostly of an international flavour.
Recommended!
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: PBO review of BRE, plus a plug for the PressReader app
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2021, 16:44 »
Julian,

Thanks for the plug.  Different councils use different apps, as I’ve discovered in trying to follow your suggestions in Kent.  They use (for me) quite a complicated app called Libby but the principle is the same.

After several false starts, I’ve managed to get the app to do as it’s told and even succeeded in reading the April issue of Practical Boat Owner.  A couple of comments about their article on the BRe: I see that the joys of owning an unbraked trailer are still being extolled, even though the BRe is 20kg heavier than my BR20, which weighed exactly 750kg on its trailer last time I checked it on a weighbridge; and the author thought that the new configuration of a vertically-hung rudder was an important improvement on the original - we can’t all be wrong can we?

I was interested to see that both Motor Boat & Yachting and Motor Boat & Yachting Russia are available to “borrow”.  Both magazines have similar content, except that the boats in the Russian one are at least ten times bigger.

On to Auto Express, Classic Boat and even the US Woodworker’s Journal.  At last, I feel that I’m getting more out of Kent County Council than proliferating potholes and dodgy planning decisions.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2021, 09:02 »
Thanks for this Julian.
Extremely useful.

Cornwall uses Press Reader, and the excellent Library Services team sorted me a new membership in 48 hrs.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

johnguy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2021, 14:02 »
Thanks Julian for a great tip. I was able to register with Cardiff Libraries with a few clicks of the mouse and hey presto, access to loads of mags through Libby. Brilliant. Good review too.

JOD

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2021, 17:17 »
Being an ignoramus when it comes to things digital, is the app obtained via the library or by other means and how does the library card come into it? Is it necessary to use the library computers. I'm in Essex and they're trying to shut our libraries so we're in 'use them it Lise them' mode.
JOD

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2021, 18:05 »
First of all, find out from your council library what app they use and download it to your own machine.  Then, when it comes to signing in on your app, it will ask you for money.  There should be an option to bypass this by saying that you’re logging in as a library member.  They’ll ask you to prove it by entering the code number (in Kent it’s 10 digit) on your physical library card, without which you won’t be able to proceed further.

Once you’ve done all that, you should have free access.  As Julian says, you may have to log back in every now and then but otherwise it’s painless and you can use it anywhere.  No need to go to the library other than to get your original library card.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2021, 19:32 »
First of all, find out from your council library what app they use and download it to your own machine.  Then, when it comes to signing in on your app, it will ask you for money.  There should be an option to bypass this by saying that you’re logging in as a library member.  They’ll ask you to prove it by entering the code number (in Kent it’s 10 digit) on your physical library card, without which you won’t be able to proceed further.

Once you’ve done all that, you should have free access.  As Julian says, you may have to log back in every now and then but otherwise it’s painless and you can use it anywhere.  No need to go to the library other than to get your original library card.

Yes, this.

Different county, different app, but same method.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nick Orchard

« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2023, 20:22 »
I’ve been enjoying reading Sailing Today and Yachting World on Libby for a couple of years now, but it seems Devon has changed to Borrow Box which only offers Yachting Monthly and PBO to which I have a print subscription. Does anyone know an alternative free source of ST and YW?
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2023, 21:07 »
Kent libraries offer both Libby and PressReader free of charge and the latter has both your magazines, and a lot more besides.  Might be worth a try.
Graham

Nick Orchard

« Reply #9 on: 02 Nov 2023, 21:22 »
Thanks Graham I’ll give Kent a go. Will I be able to register if I don’t live in Kent?
Nick Orchard

Nick Orchard

« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2023, 21:27 »
Just tried to register and it seems you have to live, work or study in Kent.
Nick Orchard

Sea Simon

« Reply #11 on: 03 Nov 2023, 08:11 »
Thanks again to Julian M for the original info.

I can add that the Cornwall Council  Press reader app continues to work well, and unlike BBC iPlayer it will also work when abroad on holiday (without any VPN or similar  workarounds).

Cornwall  Council library services, and their associated volunteers have been excellent  all round, despite seemingly harsh budgetary cuts, and many (if not most?) Physical libraries having been closed. Our local "hub" access to books is now staffed by volunteers, and combining with a small cafe/gym etc it all appears to be thriving. THANKS!
...From Oct 22.