Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

PBO review of BRE, plus a plug for the PressReader app

(1/3) > >>

Julian Merson:
Just thought I'd draw attention to two things:
Most importantly, the excellent write-up of the BayRaider Expedition in April's edition of Practical Boat Owner.  Nothing contentious; just a very positive review under the 'Used boats' articles.

Secondly, being a skinflint, I access PBO these days digitally and for free.  I use the PressReader App, in conjunction with my local library card number.  You just have to refresh the account every couple of months by pressing a button.  The app provides daily access to excellent quality, scanned editions of a wide range of current newspapers and magazines, both national and international.

Currently, the March, April and May editions of PBO are available. They usually maintain access to the latest three, although they are sometimes quite late in making them available.
Some other nautical media there too, mostly of an international flavour.
Recommended!

Graham W:
Julian,

Thanks for the plug.  Different councils use different apps, as I’ve discovered in trying to follow your suggestions in Kent.  They use (for me) quite a complicated app called Libby but the principle is the same.

After several false starts, I’ve managed to get the app to do as it’s told and even succeeded in reading the April issue of Practical Boat Owner.  A couple of comments about their article on the BRe: I see that the joys of owning an unbraked trailer are still being extolled, even though the BRe is 20kg heavier than my BR20, which weighed exactly 750kg on its trailer last time I checked it on a weighbridge; and the author thought that the new configuration of a vertically-hung rudder was an important improvement on the original - we can’t all be wrong can we?

I was interested to see that both Motor Boat & Yachting and Motor Boat & Yachting Russia are available to “borrow”.  Both magazines have similar content, except that the boats in the Russian one are at least ten times bigger.

On to Auto Express, Classic Boat and even the US Woodworker’s Journal.  At last, I feel that I’m getting more out of Kent County Council than proliferating potholes and dodgy planning decisions.

Sea Simon:
Thanks for this Julian.
Extremely useful.

Cornwall uses Press Reader, and the excellent Library Services team sorted me a new membership in 48 hrs.

johnguy:
Thanks Julian for a great tip. I was able to register with Cardiff Libraries with a few clicks of the mouse and hey presto, access to loads of mags through Libby. Brilliant. Good review too.

JOD:
Being an ignoramus when it comes to things digital, is the app obtained via the library or by other means and how does the library card come into it? Is it necessary to use the library computers. I'm in Essex and they're trying to shut our libraries so we're in 'use them it Lise them' mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version