Author Topic: BC23 & Electric Outboards  (Read 7683 times)

MarkDarley

Re: BC23 & Electric Outboards
« Reply #15 on: 07 Aug 2022, 22:12 »
I am constantly astonished by the number of perfectly good SAILING vessels motoring past Dartmouth and indeed up and down the coast, even when there is a sailing breeze and its midday. Apparently no one is willing to go less than 6 knots these days.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Nicky R

« Reply #16 on: 08 Aug 2022, 21:33 »
We noticed that when we were on the Dart. Very few boats seemed to sail anywhere. It’s the same on the east coast. Lots of people motor down the rivers, even when the wind would be favourable for sailing (force 3+ and in a good direction).

Not sure we’ll often take the Roger Barney’s approach in Sulis when we’re not raiding, but we do enjoy gently making progress in a light breeze, and also know if all else fails she can be paddled for short distances!
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

« Reply #17 on: 09 Aug 2022, 11:13 »
My BRex sails very well on the smallish deep sided "Ria" that is River Fowey (D Lugger did NOT- one good reason it was sold)

However, on the water post-covid and in the new era of cheap/disposable water craft, we are quite literally overrun with visitors (known as "emmets" hereabouts), the majority apparently with almost zero nautical skills/experience and no idea of water-etiquette, let-alone rule of the road!
Think idiots on SUP boards/kayaks, with boom-boxes strapped to the board!!!

...and then there are the renta-boats (see above!) and often driven by children, as they would a fairground bumper car.

Makes sailing in the river in high season very stressful indeed.

Sometimes I'm grateful to have a noisy IC petrol outboard.
God know what they'd be like if they couldn't hear me coming?
Either sailing or with an electric outboard?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.