Author Topic: Halyard On Mizzen Mast  (Read 1734 times)

globetrot

Halyard On Mizzen Mast
« on: 22 Jun 2021, 12:38 »
I couldn't find this topic anywhere in the forum. If it exists, I'll be grateful if you could link it below.

Reg. the BR20: the tack of the mizzen sail and the sheets hang too low to make flying an ensign from the stern practical. Additionally, many would agree that the best place to display the ensign on a ketch is from the top of the mizzenmast.

I could make this easy on myself and just slide a metal or wooden dowel down the extra space of the mizzen sail sleeve. But that would require me to take down and put up the mizzen mast every time I depart the harbor to not leave the ensign up when not underway and in the evening (bad ensign protocol).

But I don't like this solution. I leave my mizzenmast up the time when at mooring or in the harbor (boat stays in the water). Additionally, I like the idea of hoisting a pig stick. I think it creates a distinguished appearance. And I'm able to hoist or douse the ensign quickly.

I've seen the same few photos lingering around the internet and in this forum of homemade pig sticks. If you have a creation you're particularly proud of, OR you have come up with your own solution, I'd love to see some pictures.

Here is my question: Has anyone attached a halyard pulley, bullseye, or low friction ring to the top of the mizzen mast? Instead of attaching one of these options to the mast, I wasn't thinking of attaching them to the seat-belt strap-like material that prevents the mast from protruding through the top of the mizzen sail. I'm thinking of adding a utility halyard to the mizzen that would rotate on the mizzen axis so that even when the mizzen is completed furled, the halyard is still usable.

Thoughts?
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Halyard On Mizzen Mast
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2021, 14:19 »
I’ve got two micro blocks on top of my mizzen, secured on a horizontal loop around the top of the mast and held in place by the strap across the top of the mizzen.  They’re actually used for a y-shaped halyard for the head of my mizzen staysail but it would be equally feasible to run up a pigstick on the halyard (and just have one block up there).  And when I’m putting the boat to bed, I use one side of the halyard to hoist a zipped canvas sail cover up the mast.

If I want to fly an ensign off the top of the mizzen, I use your non-preferred method of stuffing a pigstick down the gap between the mast and the mizzen sleeve.  And as I have only done it in Greece, I have to confess to ignoring protocol.  Anything goes out there, especially the rules of the road!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III