Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Semaine du Golfe 2009

(1/3) > >>

Tony:
Any Swallow Boat owner planning to attend the Semaine du Golfe ( www.semainedugolfe.fr ) May 18th to 24th might find Bill Keppel-Compton of Wales Heritage Trust a useful contact.  ( billkc@onetel.net )
   The Semaine du Golfe is, in effect,  twinned with  SeaFair Milford Haven, each supporting the other to promote local interests, hence Bill's involvement.
   He is keen to encourage a healthy flotilla of  boats flying the Welsh Dragon as a house  flag* and says:-
"...we would welcome more small boats, provided, as you know, they have the semblance of tradition about them; modern interpretations of  traditional concepts would be fine. So, please, do invite your contacts to send me details of their boats (and a photo too if they can do that by e-mail) and I will respond to them immediately."
   This response, I am lead to believe, might well include practical advantages to the participants,  such as a reduced rate for the ferry crossing to Brittany.

*(Note: All Swallow Boats, being designed and built in Wales, qualify to join the Welsh Flotilla in addition to what ever category they are registered in with the S. du G. organisers. )

Craic:
Tony, we too have now joined the Welsh flotilla with BR Llafurio.

A different subject:
The Gulf of MorBihan is a bit tricky to navigate, and the faster the boat the fewer leaders you have in front of you to follow around.

Therefore it is quite advisable for Swallowboaters to have a navigation chart aboard. The appropriate one for the MorBihan is ' SHOM No. 7137 L '. Lookup www.shom.fr . In previous years charts could NOT be purchased locally at the fleet home ports in Larmor Baden or Port Blanc. The nearest place to get them was the the 'Cooperative' chandlery in Auray, which is itself very tricky to get to (it's in an industrial zone off the highway between Auray and Lorient).
Maybe you wish to buy the chart before departure for France.

The 7137 L is printed on plasticised paper, well suited for use in an open boat.

Julian Swindell:
I would love to go but cannot this year. (Attending the 50th anniversary celebration of the founding of my old school in Vienna, would you believe. The sad things is that I was actually there in 1959!) I do like the confidence that Swallow Boats will naturally be in the lead. I am dying to get mine, which is under build now. Come 2011 I hope to be in Morbihan and can offer a bit of shelter in my cabin to any open boaters.

I have sailed in Morbihan once on a friends 33ft Vancouver, which is not the most suited to the shallow waters. I think it would be a tremendous place to sail a shallow draft boat. Even when the tidal currents are against you, if you can get close inshore, you can often find a counter current to take you through gaps whilst the deep draft boats (e.g. Vancouvers) have to anchor and wait for the tide to change. Go for it if you can. And take a map!

Jeff Curtis:
I've registered Spark for Semaine du Golfe so see you all there. I can't travel out until 17 May (Portsmouth to St Malo) as I have my nephews wedding on 16th. But perhaps someone who has been before can tell me what generally happens on the last day, 24 May. My ferry leaves from St. Malo around 10:30 every day but I don't know whether there will be time to retrieve the boat on 24 May and get to the ferry terminal by say 09.30 the next morning. Or should I think about travelling back on the 26 May?

Best wishes
Jeff and Celia

Craic:

--- Quote from: Jeff Curtis on 19 Feb 2009, 12:59 ---... perhaps someone who has been before can tell me what generally happens on the last day, 24 May. My ferry leaves from St. Malo around 10:30 every day but I don't know whether there will be time to retrieve the boat on 24 May and get to the ferry terminal by say 09.30 the next morning. ...
--- End quote ---

Hi Jeff,

Sunday 24th is packing day. You'll have no problems to retrieve your boat on Sunday and be at the ferryport in time on the 25th.

Actually, you'll see some retrieving their boats after High Water on Sat 23, following the Grand Parade as they have to leave early on Sunday.

Launching and retrieving in Larmor Baden and Port Blanc depend on the tides, the slipway at Port Blanc is usable only 2 hours either side of high water, I think Larmor Baden is similar.
Again, relax. Your ferry booking on the 25th. is not in danger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version