Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

BayRaider for dinghy cruising

(1/1)

Mato Ilijic:
I'd like to congratulate everyone involved with the design and building of these boats. I haven't yet had the chance to sail in one, but the ideas as described on the web pages seem excellent (as well as looks).

As I only have some dinghy cruising experience with a Wayfarer, it would be very nice if someone could compare these two boats. Would you expect the two boats to be able to cope with a similar range of sea/wind conditions?

I would be also interested to hear about anyones experience with rowing. Particularly what length oars do you use, and what average speed/distance and effort did you experience... especially if anyone rowed the boat loaded for camping.

If builders read this, it would be nice if they could give an insight in how they would expect the boat to behave if it was inverted with the stowage lockers stuffed (again with about 100kg of camping gear - I suppose 50kg on either side)...  how would that affect the inversion recovery? Would it still be possible for a single person to recover the boat?

Thank you + best wishes,

Mato

David:
Hi Mato,
I enjoyed the article of your Adriatic Cruise published in the Wayfarer News.  The Wayfarer has as you  know  proved her self as a good sea boot, sailing some very adventurous voyages.  I have sailed a Wayfarer and own a Wanderer and a BayRaider.

The BayRaider is a lot more stable and gives a lot more protection from the elements.  I have not yet done much rowing, standard length oars for the BayRaider but the little I have she rows well and easily.  Any thing you put in the side lockers needs to be in a dry bag.

Regards

David

Mato Ilijic:
Hi David!

Thanks for you comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the article. I agree that the Wayfarer is a wonderful boat, but since my partner never really regained her enthusiasm after our capsize/inversion, and since we got two kids, my interest is captured by the design of possibly an even safer open boat...

I wish you a lot of happy sailing, and if you get a chance to make some kind of a log or report after your trips with BR, please put it on the web!

Best wishes,

Mato

David:
I wish you a lot of happy sailing, and if you get a chance to make some kind of a log or report after your trips with BR, please put it on the web!

Best wishes,

Mato

Hi Mato,

Here is a report of the Holy Island meet in September just after I received my BayRaider.

http://www.tmtr.com/rally/rally2008.html

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version