Author Topic: Buying a new BRe  (Read 2422 times)

RP

Buying a new BRe
« on: 06 Aug 2021, 16:53 »
Hi all,
First time on the forum! I am in talks with Lara at Swallow Yachts about the purchase of a new BRe. I would really like to see some pictures of the cabin space, in particular, looking back from the point of the V-berth towards the companionway. I appreciate that it is a tiny cabin, but would just like to get a better idea of the useable space. Swallow Yachts don’t have any pictures, so was advised by Lara to try here! I live up on Skye, so not easy getting out to view owners boats. Any photos greatly appreciated. TIA

PeterDT

Re: Buying a new BRe
« Reply #1 on: 06 Aug 2021, 18:53 »
See the photo’s. We do sleep in the “cosy cuddy”, from time to time. Part of our stuff (in waterproof bags) goes in the cockpit, under the very useful spray hood, during the night to give us a bit more space.
For longer trips or for larger than average persons (and 2 or more), I would go for a proper full length cockpit tent.
We have an early BRe (#7), I am not sure if the cockpit layout is still the same.
Hope this helps,
BR
Peter
PS the photos are wide angle!

RP

« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2021, 20:05 »
Thanks Peter, that’s great. Is it possible to sit up, leaning back against the bulkhead and facing forward (legs up horizontal on the seats)? Also, is there space for a small portapotti where your feet are in the photos?

Thanks in advance!

Nicky R

« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2021, 21:01 »
We also have an early BRe (#1!) and the 3 of us sleep on board. As you can only fit two in the cabin, we use a cockpit tent. (There are some photos of ours on the Facebook site).

I'm quite tall (5’11) and can sit up in the cabin when I lean against the bulkhead, but couldn’t do that if I was sitting much further forward.

We couldn’t fit a porta potti in the space in our boat because we store the tent there and have it covered by another cushion. It's a very shallow space so you could only fit a porta potty there if you didn’t cover it. Another consideration is that the bottom of that space isn’t flat on our boat, but I don’t know whether that is the case for later ones.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Llafurio

« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2021, 08:13 »
Another option to improve the cabin space for overnighting is to modify the compression post so it can be jackknifed and be removed TEMPORARILY. Works fine. Photos here on the forum, somewhere. C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

RP

« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2021, 13:11 »
Thanks all for the replies. I also found a BRe walk-through video on youtube which shows the cabin well.

Thanks again

Chris Albatross

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2021, 09:07 »
RP, I had the same issue/concern.
I'm 6'2 and was pleasantly surprised. I can even sit forward under the hatch with just a titchy bit of hunching
We've posted a couple of cabin shots here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRl-F6xrcYN/
You'll be OK!

Sea Simon

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2021, 11:04 »
Had a look at your instagram photos.
At barely 5'9" cabin size is not an issue for me....for my wife yes! But that's more about standing head room!

Question.
I like the look of that light wood trim on your boat, what is that "option" called? £?
Do you have any photos of the general exterior?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Geoff Keating

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2021, 08:18 »
Hi Simon,

You'd be welcome to pay a visit to Gatehouse of Fleet and have a good look around my BRE - see my For Sale advert! Meanwhile, maybe the attached photo gives a better idea of the cabin, which offers two long berths - 8 feet I'd say - and the sitting up room you seek.

Geoff K

Sea Simon

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2021, 18:55 »
Unfortunately, we seem to have crossed lines here?

I have a BRe, I'm thinking about buying a new BR23, hence my question about the specification and cost of your light wood trims (my BRe has "teak" style, conventional dark-wood) as we prefer yours to ours!

Good luck with your sale - but it won't be to me.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.