Author Topic: BRE New anchoring system youtube  (Read 3052 times)

Thomas Rahm

BRE New anchoring system youtube
« on: 09 Oct 2020, 19:09 »
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: BRE New anchoring system youtube
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2020, 22:08 »
Since 2015, American Steve Goodwin has been publishing a series of YouTube tests on the relative performance of nearly every type of yacht anchor on the market.  He tests with varying rode lengths and three different seabed conditions (sand, mud and cobblestones).  The series can be found here https://www.youtube.com/user/flygoodwin/videos. There are 90 videos so far and they’re still being made.  Unlike a lot of tests, these ones involve videoing the anchors underwater as they set (or not) on the seabed.  You should be able to find among the 90 a video of a large version of your own anchor being tested.

It’s interesting that Matt is specifying the  Spade anchor for the new BRe bowsprit anchor launching system mentioned by Thomas.  It comes out very well, perhaps best of all, in these tests.  Older-style anchors like the CQR and Bruce, plus cheap knock-offs, do not do so well and most anchors (other than perhaps grapnels and the fisherman) struggle with rock and heavy weeds. 

The older generation of new style anchors, such as the Rocna and Manson Supreme, do well by setting almost immediately on the first drop into mud but not nearly so well on 180° resets.  There are reports that occasional failed resets with these anchors in high winds have ended with yachts washing up on the beach.  The problem appears to be sticky mud adhering to the flukes.  Goodwin’s unusual remedy for this is to drill multiple holes in the flukes (see below), which somehow prevents the mud from sticking.  After that, they also perform well on resets.  Sailing on the River Mudway with a Manson, this is of particular interest to me. I also carry a Fortress, which is initially very good in mud, although after watching his video I won’t trust it overnight to reset in mud, as like the Manson it can become clogged up.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2020, 19:47 »
We have already discussed elsewhere, the advantages or otherwise, of dangling an anchor off the end of a BRe sprit.
Not for me, thanks.

Whatever the benefits of the Stainless Spade anchor, I suspect it's main disadvantage for many folks, is that it costs £650, for the smallest 6kg model! The next size up iat 10kg s £840!

https://jimmygreen.com/anchors/79761-spade-anchor-stainless-steel

I just can't imagine throwing such a lovely expensive thing off the bow of my relatively small, cheap boat.
....and then, having had to  drill holes in it to make it "work better"???

I thought i was being quite extravagant with my £120 alloy Fortress, and 10m of stainless chain!
I haven't told my wife yet....????

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2020, 21:59 »
I’m not sure what the advantages of a stainless anchor might be, other than looks.  The Swallow bowsprit anchor package includes a sensible galvanised version (despite what’s shown in the video), which costs around £240.

The holes are for the Rocnas and Mansons - apparently the Spade already works well without them.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2020, 08:53 »
Thanks for that clarification GW.
Afraid my interest in anchoring videos waned while wondering how/why any one individual could amass such an array of ironmongery....that and the price niggling away, of course!

Got me thinking, that 10kg spade costs about the same as my Honda!
 Even if obtained free I think I'd be wanting to bolt it to the boat!

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020, 09:36 »
The more I look at stainless anchors, the more puzzled I am.  Why would you spend nearly three times more on something like that for no increase in utility?  The only thing I can think of is that if you have an anchor bow roller, it looks pretty.  If it starts to degrade, apparently there is little sign until it actually fails.  With galvanised anchors, rust is the clue!

Another advantage of the Spade is that it disassembles, like the Fortress.  And if you happen to be in Jersey, you can collect it and save quite a lot of money.
Graham

Sea Simon

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2021, 14:41 »
One of my search alerts for a "bargain" Spade/Rocna or Manson anchors threw up a new, boxed,  Fortress FX7 for £80 delivered. Couldn't resist, so i now have two of those FX7 Fortress. I have found it very good on sand, shingle and firmish mud. Will keep looking for a used Spade!

As below, one with almost 11m of 6mm chain, 25m 12mm nylon anchor plait as my "Bower", the other FX 7 anchor now with 3 m of the same chain, as my kedge/lunch hook, with 30m of 10mm 3 strand nylon.

I have upgraded the 6mm shackles originally used, from some of slightly sketchy provenance (Chinese - eBay?), to  UK made, "tested" quality items from  S3i marine range.

https://www.s3i.co.uk/wire-balustrade-decking-restoration.php?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EuVY5t5ACoRrsHgk2ljeCy67JlgvlID9BEZR8ERZX8FKmUlKSJMkIcaAq1jEALw_wcB

Vendor recommend.

The difference in quality, with two "same" shackles side by side, is quite shocking. I never did like the look of  those cheap Chinese 6mm shackles, but at the time it was all I could find to fit my chain.

I would also recommend their "shake proof" shackle with captive pin. If you need one for that sort of duty, theirs appears to be better than the very expensive Wichard items i fitted to the sprit at my furler and tack of my "racing jib". At a much lower price. Also "tested/certified".
...From Oct 22.