Author Topic: Better things are electric........  (Read 44753 times)

Jeremy

Re: Better things are electric........
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:04 »
Many thanks for the welcome, Tony.

What you describe is pretty much exactly what I want with the electric Winsome, a boat that the two of us can use to glide silently along our waterways, with as little disturbance as possible to the environment.  I also want a boat where the technology is hidden, inasmuch as I want it to just do the job it was designed to do, without being obviously high tech.

I wonder how much interest there would be in an electric version of Winsome?  At the moment, I've just asked Nick and Matt to build me a Winsome hull (I will fit the propulsion system) but I have wondered from time to time whether a commercially produced electric Winsome, at a sensible price, would be viable.

Anyway, answering your questions in order, as best I can:

1.  The present battery pack is made up from 32 off, 10 amp hour cells, connected as 4 series banks of 8 parallel connected cell sub-packs, so has a nominal voltage of 12.8 volts and a capacity of 80 amp hours.  Unlike lead acid, you can use pretty much all the stored energy in this type of cell, so its rated capacity is also the usable capacity.

I bought the cells directly from China, from a company called Headway, but there are are now cheaper and lighter versions of the same type of cell available.  If I were to buy another pack then I would probably get 16 off 20 amp hour A123 pouch cells, at about £30 each.  For the same capacity, these would only weigh about 8.5 to 9kg (including the weight of a suitable box) and would be smaller than my cylindrical cell pack as well.

I have built a small plug in charger that will fully charge the battery pack in about 6 hours.  Both this and the battery pack are easily portable, the battery pack box has a sealed connector on the end so it can be unplugged and lifted out of the boat for external charging.

2.  I have used the experience of the human powered boat developers when designing the prop, so am reasonably sure that it will shed weed OK.  Many have already discovered that using big model aircraft propellers on boats gives a significant efficiency gain.  Cedric Lynch used them very successfully years ago on his record breaking solar powered canoe and many of the human power boat developers have used props derived from those used on aircraft, with slim, long blades turning at a relatively slow rpm.  The best source of design information I had was from a chap called Rick Willoughby in Australia.  He has cruised long distances on weed-infested lakes, and undertaken a marathon trip down the Murray River, using his folding prop design.  There is a photo of his prop here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/pedal-powered-boats-23345-25.html#post295095 and a report from Rick on the Murray Marathon here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/pedal-powered-boats-23345-41.html#post330096

3.  The sealed boxes for the motor, electronics and battery pack are all off-the-shelf enclosures purchased from Farnell.  The plastic battery box was the most expensive, at around £25, the others were around £12 to £15 each.  Most of the boxes I've used are rated at IP67 (1 metre immersion) but some, like the battery box, are only IP65 (hose proof), because they are located in a relatively dry location.

The leg that holds the gearbox and prop bearing is made from an epoxy/glass moulding.  I made this in the standard way, by making a buck then creating a split mould.

4.  I remember the EL84, too, although in my case I was more familiar with banks of glowing EL34s in guitar amps...............

5. 6kW is probably bigger than needed, even for a big boat.  One thing with electric propulsion is to get away from thinking in terms of traditional, very inefficient, engine ratings and go back to basics.  My starting point was the resistance curves for the hull.  Nick had calculated these for Winsome and I cross checked them using a very nice hull analysis programme called Freeship.  These gave the power needed to overcome still water resistance, the major part of total drag, and then it was just a matter of estimating windage for the range of wind conditions likely to be encountered.  The result for Winsome was a surprisingly low power figure; the same would be true of other boats I suspect. 

The key is efficiency.  A traditional internal combustion engine will probably deliver less than a quarter of its rated power as propulsive effort.  Because it is cheap to just fit a bigger engine to overcome the losses, that is what we have become used to doing.  If the losses can be reduced, then the motor power requirement reduces too, by a great deal.  A boat that might need a 5hp outboard, with a fast turning, small diameter, inefficient prop, may only need a 1.5hp electric motor to give the same performance.

Battery charging is a problem for big, heavy batteries, but less so if you can make then to be around the same size and weight as an outboard fuel tank.  You can then take the battery ashore to be charged, or have more than one, so one can be ashore charging whilst the other is in use.  You could even have a very small portable generator for emergency charging on board.

6.  A 1kW system would do pretty much as you say and would be roughly equivalent to the biggest Seagull.  I used to have a tiny Seagull Featherweight (around 2hp I think) and that would happily push my old 1 1/2 ton, 22ft gaffer around, even in a bit of a chop.  Torqeedo have shown that a small electric motor, turning a big prop, slowly, can give remarkably good performance on modest power.  They are doing pretty much the same as I am, in many ways, although I'm aiming for higher efficiency.

The off-the-shelf solar cells I have bought (from here: http://www.everbrightsolar.net/diy-pretabbed-solar-panel-kits.html ) are around 16 to 17% efficient, so would deliver around 160 to 170 watts per m² at full sun (1000 W/²).  In practice, in the UK, with the cells mounted horizontal, I can expect maybe a third of that figure.  Even so, that would be enough to drive the boat independent of any power source provided that I do not use the motor for more than about half of available daylight hours each day.  I think I can get a bit more than 1m² of cells on the boat, so may well find that I never need to use the charger.  The battery will give a whole day of use, so I am hopeful that this will be enough of a buffer to allow for cloudy days or days when the boat gets lots of use with little charge time.  It will be charging all the time that it is motoring, so the power drawn from the battery will be a lot lower than the motor power.

7.  Whilst it is perfectly possible to put in a lot of time to do something like this as a hobby, the development time to turn it in to a product is the killer.  I am sure that this is the reason that the Torqeedo units are so expensive.  They are using the same very cheap RC model motors as I am, with similar controller technology, yet they sell for five to ten times the cost of the raw components.  They have undoubtedly put hundreds of hours into development, hence the need to charge to recover this cost.

Some parts of the overall system are fairly straightforward to put together.  Motors, batteries, battery management systems, chargers and controllers are pretty much off-the-shelf components, that only need housing.  The challenge is in making an efficient drive leg and prop.  It is surprisingly difficult to reduce losses and make something that is robust enough for boat use.  The Sillette leg is probably pretty inefficient, as it is really one designed for an internal combustion engine that has just been converted to accept a big electric motor.  It is proven technology though, and reliability counts for a lot.

8.  For an off-the-shelf small boat system then I think it would be hard to beat the Torqeedo range, although they are noisy (they use a high-speed motor and gearbox, which whines a fair bit).  You can just buy the motor and use your own battery packs to reduce the cost a bit.  This would allow the use of cheap lead acid batteries, to reduce initial cost, and then explore the use of lighter LiFePO4 batteries once some experience of real battery capacity requirements are known, remembering that a lead acid battery will only deliver about 80% of its rated capacity.

Once I have worked out how to post photos here I shall have a go at showing what I have done so far with all the various experiments!

Jeremy

Craic

« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2010, 14:43 »
Jeremy,
thank you for your elaborate postings which bring an innovative fresh breeze into this issue and discussion.

I myself am a sceptic with regards to the practicalities of things battery-electric on a boat, but I appreciate the approach you take. Good luck.

Actually, the way you plan it and Tony envisages it, electric propulsion does make a lot of sense for small trailer boats on inland waterways. The Winsome should do well with an electric drive.

Jeremy

« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2010, 16:38 »
Thanks for the kind words, Claus. 

I think you are right about the state of electric propulsion at the moment, it is better suited to inland water way use.

What puzzles me is that there was a flourishing electric river boat industry here around 100 or so year ago, yet somehow the infernal combustion engine seems to have killed it off.

A few years ago I hired a yacht on the Norfolk Broads, the George Thetford, which had a Lynch electric motor and large lead acid battery bank in the keel for auxiliary propulsion.  It worked extremely well indeed, with plenty of power for manoeuvring a fairly heavy 25ft LOD, even against the modest tide/wind on the Broads.  I doubt whether the system would cope at sea though, other than as a means of getting to open water from a mooring.

The real problem for seagoing use is finding a way to charge the batteries.  Solar panels can only provide a modest source of energy, wind generators are a bit impractical and towed water generators, or using the prop to drive the motor as a generator, create a fair bit of drag when sailing.

For use in a sailing day boat, though, where power is only needed to get to and from a slipway, a lightweight electric system is feasible with current technology, if a little expensive at the moment.

Jeremy

Tony

« Reply #33 on: 05 Oct 2010, 12:12 »
Hi, Jeremy.

What news? Going into mass production yet?

You DID promise photos?

By the way, my Yamaha has been perfectly well behaved this summer. See photo - entering Loggos harbour under power!
 A smart mechanic at Burton Waters Marina spotted that the fuel on/off - main/aux tap was broken, invisibly, inside. The indicated setting had a 33% chance of being the same as the actual flow path! A little vibration and the thing gradually closed itself causing all the grief.
A new tap and my faith in the internal combustion engine is restored?

No, actually......and I still need an electric option for inland waterways.

Oh, yes.... and longer oars. (Does anyone know how to make Admiralty pattern oars?)

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2010, 20:39 »
Hello everybody,
I am in the(protracted) throes of getting a new build from Matt.Due i.a.to berthing size constraints,it turns out,probably, to be a modified CBL,with single centreboard,cat ketch rig,and electric auxiliary propulsion.Here I have hit upon something entirely new(to me):a Torqeedo outboard,a fairly big Lithium battery,and-a fuel cell!Given moderate engine use,a 5l container of(special,triple-refined)meths would seem to provide a week´s independence from shore power.Expensive,yes,but you get a quiet,emission-free system,and none of the components weighs more than 10 kgs,so easy to dismember and bring home.Has anybody tried this?

Johan
Frances 26 "Freja" and a no-name new boat!
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2010, 16:11 »
Hi, Johan.
As owner of the first Cardigan Bay Lugger I have an interest in all new builds of that marque – mostly to see if I can steal any good ideas or modifications. You say a Cat Ketch rig? Is that a balanced lug, like Four Sisters or something else? I would be keen to swap ideas.
Another thing that interests me is the methanol fuel cell. Last time I looked these things cost about €3500.00. Have the prices come down recently?  Will it deliver enough Amps to the Torqeedo to push a CBL at 5 knots all day? (Perfect for inland waterways.) How much is the triple refined Ethanol per litre?  (I ve heard that supermarket Vodka is cheaper but, unfortunately, too dilute!)   If 5 litres is enough to last a week at, say, an hour s use each day, the consumption compares  with the petrol used by my 4hp Yamaha.

I see you have a Frances 26. Very nice boats. There is definitely something about double enders!

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #36 on: 24 Oct 2010, 13:49 »
@Tony,
Well may you ask,is the man mad?Why meths,there´s perfectly good single malt around!The answer:new generations find new ways of offending the Almighty.Thus,we now have not only Omission and Comission,but also Sins of Emission.We live in a water-side,eco-zone development in Stockholm,and to get a boat-space right under your window,you have to have an eco-boat--voilá.We started with a BC project-hey,max 2,0m beam-go to CBL.Matt says,go for a single,heavily weighted c/b;you´ve written(sorry)about the windward properties of
the lug rig.I think,choice of 2 rigs:original S19,or cat,i.e.a
forward -stepped,taller,CF mainmast with a bermudan sail.Matt seems to
think this is a good idea.
Regarding the fuel cell:In the Stockholm archipelago at any rate,you have a choice of two cruising modes:gourmet-crawling between marinas with shore power for charging batteries,and,strangely,very useful restaurants(this has much to recommend it)or alternatively,skerry-hopping,stern-anchor-and-tie-up-to-a-desert-island-for-the-night.
In good weather,this can be very nice for a week or so,and this is the reason for the fuel cell,which can noiselessly recharge you overnight,as well as power the fridge,etc.
I hope to get to the UK and Wales fairly soon,any chance of a clamber
over "Four Sisters"?

Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #37 on: 25 Oct 2010, 23:37 »
Hi,

“We live in a water-side,eco-zone development in Stockholm,and to get a boat-space right under your window,you have to have an eco-boat—“
An eco-boat, eh?  Well, Johan, I am going green, too.
 Green with envy!!

I see no reason why a cat ketch rig (Cardigan Bay Catboat?)with a single heavy centreboard should not work well – but don’t be in too much of a hurry to discount a high peaked balanced lug.
 I like the balanced lug for its ease of rigging (which your Cat rig will share) quick and easy slab reefing (which the cat rig might share) its power off the wind and soft gybing (which the Cat rig will not share) and the fact that releasing the halyard will drop the sail onto the cabin top in an instant, trapped neatly between yard and boom.  Do you have many low bridges around Stockholm? The unstayed CF main mast would be quick to raise and lower.
By the way, to get the CBL to point higher and to boost speed in light airs I fly the jib. It really needs a bowsprit to get it clear of the lug sail, a modification that will have to wait until I have thought of a way to retract it quickly from the cockpit. If light winds are going to last, removing some or all of the 90kg lead ballast livens her up quite a bit but I really need a hiking stick on the tiller much above F4.  When fully loaded with ballast, camping gear, outboard motor and extra crew, (about 250kg in all)  the CBL becomes less lively but will still give you 5-6 knots with a half decent wind.
You ask if there is  “ ....any chance of a clamber over "Four Sisters"? “    Absolutely. Let me know when you are going to be in the UK and we can set something up. Use the Personal Message facility on this Forum.
Tell us more about this fuel cell......
....and please, don't even joke about using a good malt as fuel.

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:00 »
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your kind offer!By hiking stick-do you mean a tiller extension?Nothing about hiking sticks in Hornblower and Aubrey..
I´ve sent Matt a very untidy sketch of impossible improvements(met,so far,by a shocked silence).I´ll try to clean it up and post it.

Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Tony

« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2010, 23:51 »
Hey, Johan.

Why are you asking me? Didn't you lot invent yachting?
Hornblower? Jack Aubrey? Fictional characters, both!  What would Van Tromp have done? (We still remember the battle of Dungeness in these parts ...and that later business with the broom at the masthead.)Anyhow, I dont think the helmsman ever had to sit out a 74 gun ship of the line. They just rolled a few carronades to windward!

To business:-
Tell us more about this fuel cell.....please!
I'll be glad to hear about the (quote) "possible improvements". I'll steal from anyone to make the boat go better.

Dont worry about Matt being shocked by your ideas. He never turned a hair at the nonsense I was spouting when we were working on the CBL Four Sisters!

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2010, 19:40 »
Tony,
Pity the poor benighted foreigner,him learns English out of books!Also,we Scandies certainly didn´t invent yachting,certainly not in a fair sense,witness a racing meet in Norway in 1870(?),when some guys sawed through the ribs of their boats to make them more flexible in the waves...
Serious question #1:The matter of the hiking stick.Wanting to concentrate crew weight,and also to get a workstation suited to the stereotyped motor patterns of the elderly,I´m trying to make Matt provide a moved-forward tiller,with a linkage á la Sea Raider,and a mainsheet attachment on the bridge-deck or somewhere.Matt thinks this would crowd the cockpit too much.

#2 I´m also trying to promote a sliding cockpit hatch,to facilitate galley activities and to be able to get dressed more or less standing up.This also spreads despondency in the Cardigan Bay area.

Your esteemed comments,please(I´ll get back on the electrics)

Johan
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Julian Swindell

« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:38 »
Hi Johan,
The original plan on the Baycruiser was to have no sliding hatch, but this proved a bit too cramping. In the end Matt cut out for and installed a short hatch, which I am grateful for. As you say, I can stand up in the hatch way, which is a relief in many ways. I can also sit on my centreboard table with my head out of the hatch, but I don't know if the CBL layout suits that. Photo of the old hatchless arragement at Beale Park should be below, along with final hatched arrangement.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2010, 17:45 »
Right,guys,about the electrons.I feel the dread weight of a Moderator Off-Topic Zap descending on me,but it´s all good fun-perhaps one should start a new topic-CBLs to come.

I´ve already gone on at fair length about my reasons for trying for an electric solution.Now for a bit of "how?"

Power requirements:Last summer,through improvidence,I found myself,after a lovely downwind day,having to motor back,into F5-6 and a nasty wave action built up from a long fetch over several days.My 4-ton boat,with a 9hp diesel,got 4 knots-i.e useful performance at 2-3 hp/ton.The Torqeedo 1003 is claimed to give 3hp,and a well-laden CBL3 shouldn´t top 750 kg-fine so far.

Power reserve:Torqeedo claim  that 10 Ah will last 0,5 hrs(with this engine)and 2,5 hrs at 1/2 power,which would probably provide some sort
of an idea of a useful "economy cruise" at least for comparison purposes.

The 1003 comes with a 10 Ah detachable battery of it´s own,which should be a useful last resort.I am,however,planning for a Lithium bank as a main power source.You get 40 Ah at 24V=1 KWh,more or less,in a car-battery-sized box weighing 10 Kgs.An old work aquaintance of mine is in the business(they are right now involved ,for the military,in producing an electrically-powered,submersible RIB). His company has a convenient 100 Ah 12 V package,and two of those,as an example,would,by the way Torqeedo calculate,offer 5 hrs "flat out" or 25 hrs "economy".

Charging:My first idea was to charge opportunistically,fron shore power,solar panels,and perhaps an "Aquair" trailing generator.Then,I stumbled on the idea of fuel cell charging.The German company Efoy make a range of meths-driven fuel cells,the smallest of which would keep energy economy in perfect balance,given economy motor use 4/24 and charging the rest.Unfortunately,I yesterday hit a snag in that the Efoy generators are stated to function only with Mastervolt Lithium  batteries,which are a sight to big(320 Ah,55 kgs)and no doubt expensive as well.This is a nuisance for practical,safety,warranty and insurance reasons.So I´m back to square X in that respect,inquiries are in train,maybe I´ll just have to provide locker space for a fuel cell/meths container and wait on (rapid)developments.

Cost:Given the list price of the Torqeedo,and a back-of lorry deal for the batteries,maybe 3500 GBP,i.e."2 top-range petrol outboards" or
"half a diesel".The fuel cell would add another 2 grand.

So there we are,expediently echanging fossil fuel/greenhouse gas for the problems of Litium/Unobtainium (why we are in/on Afghanistan/Planet Pandora).Less noise and smell,anyway!
CBL "Lill-Freja"

Julian Swindell

« Reply #43 on: 29 Oct 2010, 21:19 »
What? A "Submersible RIB"? That must be up there with flying submarines.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Johan Ellingsen

« Reply #44 on: 30 Oct 2010, 10:54 »
Julian,

That´s what I thought too!

www.theseal.se/products/the-seal-carrier

They´ve actually got orders for this thing.The batteries are Chinese,