Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 16753 times)

RogerLennard

What's in a name?
« on: 10 Oct 2021, 21:28 »
My BR20 is on order but won't be ready for many months. One thing I need to do is decide upon a suitable name.
What name do you call your boat and what's the story behind it?

jonno

Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2021, 10:38 »
I’ll start the ball rolling.  BRe Ella is named thus because previous boat BR20 was Ella.  That boat was so called because a favourite cat of mine was Ella.  And she was Ella after Ella Fitzgerald.  Persistent, I am.

I like short names for boats.  And ones which aren’t jokey.  I think it’s worth pondering spelling out candidate names in a Mayday call.

John

Matthew P

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2021, 17:40 »
Good idea Roger, you might like to see a previous thread on this topic at:

https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1413.0.html 

I recently acquired "Tarika" a BR17 named by Jim L, her previous owner.  I understand Tarika is a Hindu girl's name meaning star, that I have no intention of changing.  Perhaps Jim might expand on why he chose Tarika.

I also own a rowing-boat-with-a-sail called Hilda, that I named after a much loved, gentle, merry, tee-total Methodist aunt.  If I'd been better educated I would have realised Hilda is of course a fearsome warrior-maiden, the chief Valkyrie, the opposite character to my aunt. 

Good luck with your new BR20

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
Northeaster[er] Hilda
ex-BR20 Gladys     
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Thomas Rahm

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2021, 18:34 »
My BRE "well done "  hast the name  because I am very happy to have bought it.
Thomas
Thomas R  BRE 084 "well done"

RogerLennard

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2021, 19:16 »
Hello Jonno, I am totally with you on the need for short names in case of having to make a mayday call. I remember sailing across the Solent when a mayday call went out from a boat that had hit the submarine wall and taken out the keel. The call went on for so long because the vessel was named 'Bob the Magnificent'.

RogerLennard

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2021, 19:20 »
Thank you for the link Matthew P. Lots of interesting comments and ideas there.

My current boat, a Wayfarer, is called Descanso. I wanted my boat to be the thing at the end of the week that could take away the stress of work as I sailed her. Having spent some time in Spanish-speaking countries, I chose the Spanish word Descanso as it means 'to rest'.

Ape Ears

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2021, 21:09 »
My next new boat will be called ‘APUS’.

I invite suggestions why she will be so called.

Clues : it is not a personalised number plate, but it could be considering the type of rig ; hopefully she will follow in  CraiC’s footsteps after the ‘speeding ticket’ at the Chichester Raid ; she is not a swallow, but will be a Swallow Yacht. It may just be a passerine phase I am going through.

Answers welcomed to explain the cryptic clues.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Llafurio

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2021, 21:54 »
My next new boat will be called ‘APUS’.

I invite suggestions why she will be so called. ....

Apus is a constellation.

Apus or APUS may also refer to:
Apus (bird), a genus of birds
Lepidurus apus, a species of crustacean in the genus Lepidurus
APUS (computer), an Amiga computer brand
AP United States History (AP US), an American college-level course and examination
APUS Group, an Android developer
American Public University System, an online learning institution

or: Andrew Peers Under Sail
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2021, 22:38 »
You could call it Apus 2, or would that be Common?  If you called it Apis instead, would that be Plan Bee?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

jonno

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2021, 22:55 »
And for when he's motoring:

Andrew's Not Under Sail.

Matthew P

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:50 »
APUS = A Pussycat = catamaran?

and according to Wikipedia, passerines are distinguished from other orders of birds by the arrangement of their toes (three pointing forward and one back), which facilitates perching. 

Some sort of skeletal catamaran designed to keep the crew on their toes?

Matthew
BR17 Tarika
etc
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:34 »
Confusingly, passerine is a red herring.  I think being legless has something to do with it.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ape Ears

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2021, 19:18 »
Thank you, my friends, for your suggestions, all of which have a grain of truth, but not the specific answer in one single word. 

Graham: Apasserine was alluding to a bird brained idea which had nothing to do with red herrings which are fish. You are on the right track. I could be described as Apodidae sic legless, following  hip replacements too.

Matthew: Nothing to do with cat-fishing. Two Passerines sitting on a Perch. One said to the other, “Can you smell fish”?

John: As always straight to the bottom line, never happier than when we are-singing about in the choir with your bass(sic) instincts.

Graham: Seeking to anchor in another Hamlet. ‘Two bees or not two pees, that is the question? Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune… ‘. No. Taking Apis would be contrary to the petition to ban discharge of sewage directly into our watercourses.
Apus 2 , Common. V good!

Claus: Constellation - the boat may hopefully be a star, following in Craic’s wake.
A genus of bird,absolutely correct.
 Not Lepidurus  apus ; although I too have been frequently referred to by my colleagues as a living fossil!
The academic, computer and ‘Android’ references I appreciate as much thought has gone in to this.  Thank you for your erudite and comprehensive answer.

Final solution tomorrow.
Andrew
SeaRaider No1 'Craic'
BayRaider Expedition No123 'Apus' (Swift)

Charles Scott

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2021, 23:27 »
Presumably a very "swift" swallow. Knock it back quickly.
Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"

Charles Scott

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2021, 23:30 »
Sorry Graham, I have just realised what Apus 2, very common means. How dim am I?
Charles.  GRP Bayraider20 no. 75.  "Augusta Thomasina"