Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Water in forward and stern buoyancy tanks

<< < (2/3) > >>

Graham W:
I’ve found that paradoxically on an uncovered BR20, water is more likely to get past my aft buoyancy tank inspection hatches when the boat is slightly tilted aft, as it is on the trailer.  It seems that such a tilt stops any water on the aft part of the benches from running off forward.  So it just pools in the area of the inspection hatches and leaks through them one way or another, probably underneath the bases rather than through the hatch lids.  Not a big problem.

PaulK:
Thank you too Graham W for your post which I hadn’t clocked - further reassurance. I’m grateful.

Graham W:
Reviving an old topic. 

As I was putting my BR20 to bed for the winter, I thought that it would be a good idea to inspect all the buoyancy tanks for water ingress. 

There were a few litres in the two stern tanks (leaky inspection hatches) and a small amount on both sides of the topmost tanks that run under the gunwales (possibly condensation).  The lockers were both bone dry, despite heavy power washing - the locker lid corner cut-outs are a real boon. 

The tank in the bow and the port forward tank (with access in the forward wall of the port locker) were both dry as well.  However, the starboard forward tank had a couple of litres of water in it.  The question is, where could it have come from?  Any ideas?  It was fresh water rather than salty.

Graham W:
Bump.

Am I right in thinking that the BR20 foredeck is a separate piece of GRP and during assembly is bonded/epoxied to the hull?  If there was any gap between the two, that might explain where the water in the starboard forward buoyancy tank was getting in.

The black caulking (Sikkaflex or similar?) between the foredeck and wooden gunwale strip is beginning to degrade and probably needs replacing.  I’m thinking that if that was sorted out, it would stop the leak.

The water in the buoyancy tank was fresh rather than salty, suggesting that as I mostly sail on the sea, it’s rainwater or the result of pressure washing the boat.

garethrow:
Not sure Graham. I do know that the GRP hulls arrive from Poland with the decks already on if that helps at all? I haven't really looked that hard under the foredeck to study configuration of floor and tanks, but your post prompts me to check the front buoyancy tanks in due course.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version