Author Topic: Towing change  (Read 2506 times)

Julian Merson

Towing change
« on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:38 »
The current restrictions on towing, which require those with licences issued after 1997 to take a test before towing braked trailers, are being lifted.  That has to be good news for younger drivers wanting to buy larger boats, and good news for the potential resale value of these boats.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

All we need, now, is an electric vehicle with sufficient range to tow boats from one side of the country to the other, and the future of trailer sailers will be secure...
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

R and J

Re: Towing change
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2021, 19:35 »
Hi Julian,

Good point.

We are looking at buying a new Toyota Rav 4 as an alternative tow vehicle to our Transit Custom campervan which is available in petrol hybrid and plug in hybrid only with rave reviews. It is an all new car on a new platform very different than its predecessor.
Towing limits for hybrid 1650kg and plug in hybrid 1500kg when specified in AWD. Economy of or better than a diesel and 40 mile range on the plug in. Not particularly cheap but no AWD SUV is.

BRe 089 ‘Sparkle’

Cappagh

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2021, 19:37 »
Looking at this change with neutral eyes ,I fail to see this is good news from a competence and safety point of view.
While accepting that many of us older drivers may be seen as having an unfair advantage, with our licences granted under less stringent conditions, it seems strange not to train younger drivers to maintain and tow heavy loads with a competence examination following this.

My own mother,in her early twenties was able to walk into a post office and buy a licence to drive heavy double axle goods lorries, HGVs with trailers, commercial buses, tractors ,earth movers,cars and motorbikes. We look back in horror at the standards of that time which is not so long ago. I might suggest that the same view to towing heavy trailers,without appropriate training, will be taken in the not too distant future.

We are all somewhat resistant to rules and regulations and especially examinations but I for one would be happier to drive on roads where my family and friends are not put at risk from even one incompetent trailer driver. I include myself in gaining experience of towing trailers by trial and error and was definitely not safe at all times. And by the way, my mother wasn’t even very safe in control of a car without a trailer…

Stephen Foyle. BR20

BR20 , ex Devon Lugger, ex Cape Cutter19.

Julian Merson

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2021, 20:21 »
Yes, I don’t disagree that this will potentially lead to a reduction in road safety.
But, it seems absurd to have an arbitrary date of 1997, such as we currently do, as the threshold for being a 'safe' driver.  Either we all have to take a test or we all don't.  Over the years, I've watched some extremely dodgy trailering by boat owners at rallies, particularly when attempting to reverse down a slipway.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2021, 21:53 »
This (or something similar) should be compulsory viewing for trailering newbies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Dgxe584Ss.  Ignore the product advert at the end.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Cappagh

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2021, 23:24 »
Agreed, the test should be across the board. Unlikely to happen, as it would not be a vote gatherer and logistically harder to implement. Probably the reason why previous changes to various licenses were phased in from a given date. In our less than ideal world let’s just be happy that we can still go sailing and perhaps forget about the political farces that are happening all around us! Our sailing community generally get on very well together, maybe some governments should be examined and issued licences to practise by the sailors!

BR20 , ex Devon Lugger, ex Cape Cutter19.

R and J

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2021, 13:30 »
I understand, and like other contributions here, am concerned about the safety consequences of withdrawing the requirement of tests. The Camping and Caravan Club of who we are members bring a view of, despite no test required, the courses they provide still being well worthwhile. In addition they get involved with a service giving information to members re Gross trailing weights of cars, Towing limits braked and unbraked and Gross Permissible Mass of a trailer. Exceeding these figures brings possible prosecution. Anyone intending to tow should be well informed.

There are a few vehicles out there at high cost which can tow significant weights a considerable distance. Launching now is an all electric Nissan Arraya with a range not towing of 310 miles with a towing limit of 1500kg, price estimated £40,000 less £37000. We can hope prices come down.

The future of Trailer Sailers is assured

R and J

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2021, 13:33 »
Correction, Sorry,

The price of a Nissan Arraya is estimated £40,000 less grant £3700

Nicky R

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2021, 22:26 »
I took a trailer test a few years ago, as I got my licence in 1997. I found the instruction really helpful, and would recommend a couple of hours instruction on how to drive and manoeuvre with a trailer. I found there was a big difference between towing small dinghies that could be unhitched when manoeuvring was tricky, and towing our BRe. I also picked up lots of good tips for normal driving. The test wasn’t so good - very stressful and with a tricky manoeuvre that I couldn’t ever imagine needing to do in real life.

The cynic in me thinks they’ve got rid of the test to help clear the backlog of car tests. There was a long wait for tests around us before COVID.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Julian Merson

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2021, 16:56 »

The cynic in me thinks they’ve got rid of the test to help clear the backlog of car tests. There was a long wait for tests around us before COVID.
According to 'What Car' magazine, which is where I picked up on this piece of news, it's to free up examiners to clear the backlog of HGV tests.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'