Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 16442 times)

Ray S

Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2021, 17:02 »
Whimbrel is a bird somewhat similar to a curlew and spends the summer in Scandinavia, calling into the UK on route to overwintering in Spain. This is somewhat similar behaviour to my son's family who live in Sweden, call in on us occasionally and sometimes holiday in Spain.  We ourselves call in on our Swedes more often than we go to Spain. (When we're allowed!)

The real reason for the name WhimBRel is that we mostly just go out 'on a whim' in our BRe. We were hoping to acquire BRe 50 but we were slightly too early ordering and weren't allowed to mess with the Swallow orderbook.

It would be quite something to take Whimbrel to the beautiful lake areas in Sweden one day - but that might need a bit more planning than just going on a Whim!

Ray S
BRe 047 Whimbrel

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2021, 20:02 »
A lot of bird names here.

While on the subject of Sweden, I’d love to sail on Lake Siljan, which is large and a long way NW of Stockholm.  I’ve been there in winter when it was completely frozen over. Lots of wildlife, including bears, wolves and of course elk.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ray S

« Reply #32 on: 04 Nov 2021, 16:22 »
A lot of bird names here.

While on the subject of Sweden, I’d love to sail on Lake Siljan, which is large and a long way NW of Stockholm.  I’ve been there in winter when it was completely frozen over. Lots of wildlife, including bears, wolves and of course elk.

Funny you should mention Lake Siljan, Graham…. Am there at the moment in Tallberg, again without our Bre.

I think this photo is from the same location as yours… just below the Green Hotel.

As you say, fantastic BR territory   :)

Ray S
BRe 047 Whimbrel

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #33 on: 04 Nov 2021, 16:53 »
We had some wonderful times at the Green Hotel.  The art gallery, with its Newlyn School paintings, is quite something.  I see from the website that the very glamorous Salka is still in charge.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Ray S

« Reply #34 on: 04 Nov 2021, 19:11 »
Same here Graham; Son and Swedish daughter-in-law got married in the gallery 8 years ago - here to see them and the grandchildren  :)

Ray S
BRe 047 Whimbrel