Author Topic: Owners of BC 23 who could share their experience please.  (Read 2082 times)

MarkDarley

I have just ordered a BC23 which will most likely be delivered in late 2022 or early 2023.

I would be very interested to discuss with other BC23 owners what they feel are the essential options to make this boat a good single hander, while also keeping an eye on performance.
(On the electronics front, I would like to keep things as simple as possible.)

We anticipate cruising the coasts of the UK, Brittany and Spain using her trailer sailer flexibility as well as her sailing ability.

I currently have "Pippin", a Bayraider 20 (wood), and she gives me hours of pleasure.  The reason for ordering a BC23 is that we are feeling the need for a little more creature comfort and longer legs.

Please shoot me a message with contact info if you would like to share your BC 23 experience to help me appropriately equip the boat.

Thanks, Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Antonia

Re: Owners of BC 23 who could share their experience please.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2021, 19:41 »
Oh my!  I was thinking of ordering a new Baycruiser 23 as I can't seem to find one secondhand.  Is it going to take that long to acquire one?
Antonia

boehm.reichling

« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2021, 15:02 »
Hello Mark,

the only extra I use a lot when sailing single handed is the tiller pilot. The BC 23 is going into the wind almost immediately once you leave the tiller alone. So for reefing, hoisting the gennaker it is essential to keep the boat on track. For tacking you can just leave the tiller and handle the jib. The max rudder angle in about 30-40deg.
Good for tacking but sometimes in the harbour i would wish for more.

The extra sail I use is the gennaker. Makes reaching fun. The jib is rather small.

Regards

Andreas

mainecoast

« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2021, 10:01 »
Mark,

I rigged the jib sheets with Spinlock PXR swivel cleats and have a folding shackle on the aft end of the bridge deck where I can run the main sheet to.  (it does take up space forward in the cockpit, so I can de-rig it back to the original set up in a couple of minutes when i have more than one guest)

These allow me to easily have sheets at hand while solo.

I've found a tiller pilot helpful, as well.  But also, more often, just run a line between the cleats and around the tiller for a quick and non-power solution.

Good luck!

Pete
Corvus, BC 23, hull 37

Julian and Karen

« Reply #4 on: 06 Nov 2021, 18:47 »
We had a number of extras and mods to our boat - the fun of having a new boat though they all add up!

Autopilot (Autohelm) and chart plotter (B&G) with depth are the most used electronics and work very well - we have a fixed VHF and handheld (this is probably all we need).  And an electric water ballast pump that Swallow installed by mistake - but we are very grateful for. Power is sourced from a couple of lead acid batteries charged from the 2 x 20W solar panels, occasionally topped up by a shore power charger we fitted. This is fine - unless there are lots of phones to charge as well, when power consumption takes a little managing (we are thinking of changing to lithium batteries so you can plug in a laptop, but still put off by the cost).

With the sails: we have 2:1 with the jib sheets - which makes sheeting in much easier - lead to Allen cleats (changed from the Selden ones that always slipped). We asked Hyde for a thicker than standard jib luff wire - this turns the head of the sail better in strong headwinds. We also changed to a stainless cleat for the jib furler and had a stainless strip added on the top of the cockpit coaming to stop the furler line cutting into it. We don’t have self-tailers - these might have been marginally better as we normally leave the halyards cleated on the winches to stop any slippage. We have a D-ring on the cockpit sole rather than the bridge deck, so the mainsheet can be centre sheeted - this is good if you need to release the main in a hurry - as with Corvus we unclip and move to the back when not sailing. The asymmetric works really well and is easy to set and retrieve from the cockpit, so we have not considered a furler.

We went for a Tohatsu 9.8 hp outboard  - not 100% sure if this is necessary but good to know we have the extra power in reserve - this has come in useful a couple of times (and it is also quieter than the 6hp). For the tender - the Superlight Twin Air 230 3D fits beautifully in the starboard cockpit locker and is really light to handle.

Down below - we have the lifting floorboards and infill cushions making the saloon berths wider and more comfortable (the younger generation have had 5 sleeping below…), the watertight access hatches under the saloon berths which are great for storing rarely used but essential supplies, spares, etc and Matt made the panel at the front of the fore peak smaller (ie the gap in the middle wider) so it will accommodate 2 pairs of feet when sleeping there. For the icebox - we have a Coleman 36 Quart XTreme which fits very neatly under the hatch (we cut an insert into the locker lid for it to fit into).

The hull was coppercoated which works ok - there is still some buildup of weed on the waterline after lying a few months in the Hamble river (a challenging environment for any antifouling), all the wood is Utile including the tiller (we sanded this back after 4 seasons - re-oiled and back like new now) and the topsides are a non Swallow standard British racing green.

Most days we acknowledge at least one “lovely boat” - on the last day this year we had two and an offer to buy!

Let us know if you would like to go through any of these in more detail.

MarkDarley

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2021, 22:11 »
Thanks for all this info and keep it coming please!

What dinghy, if any, are BC23 owners using?  I have a hard dinghy to get to and from my mooring on the Dart, but I am thinking of a small inflatable for cruising,  stored where?
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2021, 22:36 »
I had a small 3 "man" inflatable dinghy, with a hard floor made of three panels. and with a ply transom. When deflated it fitted across the foredeck, between the forward part of the cabin and the sampson post. The seat fitted one of the cockpit lockers and I made some fittings to hold the dismantled oars in the engine well, either side of the engine.

I think it was a Seago 260.
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"