Author Topic: Snipe Vers CLH trailer  (Read 2535 times)

Simon Bright

Snipe Vers CLH trailer
« on: 28 Oct 2021, 19:36 »
I have bought a bay cruiser 20 which is on an un-braked snipe trailer  (Y5-750R-BC20) . Because the all up weight is is more than the un-braked trailer weight specified for my car ( greater than 50 % kerb weight) I need to upgrade the trailer.

I don't know whether to have the Snipe trailer converted to braked or whether to get the braked CLH trailer for the boat. Do people feel that the heavier Snipe trailer is better than the lighter weight CLH trailer ?

Any tips on where to get the conversion done if I go that way ?

thanks,

Simon Bright

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Snipe Vers CLH trailer
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2021, 09:13 »
I'd upgrade the Snipe. That should be the cheaper option and, anecdotally, the Snipe trailers were/are better than CLH. We upgraded our old BRe's CLH trailer to braked and it was strightforward and cheaper than a replacement trailer.

There are some on the forum, including me, that were unsurprised & pleased when the switch was made to Snipe but thought it odd when SY reverted to CLH. I've owned two CLH trailers and although I haven't owned a Snipe trailer I can't imagine the Snipes are any worse than CLH and likely to be better.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2021, 11:31 »
Nine out of ten sheep prefer Ifor Williams trailers.  ‘Nuff said.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Simon Bright

« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2021, 11:04 »
I'd upgrade the Snipe. That should be the cheaper option and, anecdotally, the Snipe trailers were/are better than CLH. We upgraded our old BRe's CLH trailer to braked and it was strightforward and cheaper than a replacement trailer.

There are some on the forum, including me, that were unsurprised & pleased when the switch was made to Snipe but thought it odd when SY reverted to CLH. I've owned two CLH trailers and although I haven't owned a Snipe trailer I can't imagine the Snipes are any worse than CLH and likely to be better.

Thanks for the advice Jonathan. I notice that the Snipe trailer is 70 kg heavier than the CLH trailer. So maybe more robust ?   I have found a company in Cardiff that will upgrade to braked trailer for around £1000. My boat Svala a BRE 20  ( new to me) is at Thornbury. Does anyone have recommendations about companies that do convert trailers ?

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 09 Nov 2021, 13:20 »
I used Wessex Trailers (https://www.wessex-trailers.co.uk/) and I think they charged less than £1,000 but they're not local to you.
Jonathan

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2021, 13:30 »
Perhaps consider two suggestions :

Stainless steel brake activation rods rather than the stranded cable and clamps as the cable and clamps soon attracts corrosion.

Have a fresh water brake drum flushing kit fitted at the same time its much easier if done during upgrade rather than post.

peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Simon Bright

« Reply #6 on: 09 Nov 2021, 16:28 »
Thanks Peter and thanks Jonathan.  :)

Much appreciated.

Simon

Simon Bright

« Reply #7 on: 08 Dec 2021, 11:14 »
Dear Jonathan,

I have been in touch with Wessex and so far they have been the most amenable, lowest price and earliest delivery. So I am just checking. Are you happy with your  Wessex trailer modification ? Would you recommend putting a dynema rope on the ratchet rather than the existing webbing to raise and lower the boat ?

best regards,

Simon

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2021, 11:31 »
Hi Simon,

That's good to hear. I no longer have the BRe & trailer but I used it for a few years after the conversion to a braked trailer and never had any issues. I've used Wessex Trailers quite a lot and always found them very helpful and competitively priced. Last year I needed a new wheel bearing fitted to the BC26's trailer and it required a hydraulic press to fit. I took the drum to Wessex Trailers and they fitted the bearing and charged me less than it would cost me to buy just the parts elsewhere.

I've never used dyneema rather than a strap so can't comment on that, but I did think of making the change and it seems sensible. I'm sure other owners will have experience of this.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Simon Bright

« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2021, 11:33 »
Thanks Jonathan .

And Merry Xmas

Simon