Author Topic: Deck paint for Baycruiser 20  (Read 1799 times)

Aurigacap

Deck paint for Baycruiser 20
« on: 26 Feb 2022, 19:35 »
Although she is in excellent decorative condition, re rigging my recent purchase as a ketch will mean filling a lot of holes on deck where the components of her junk rig sprouted (e.g. the 12cm hole where the keel stepped mast penetrated the cabin). Naturally, the original deck paint, International Deck Top Line 070 (matt cream) 2? pot polyurethane is available no longer for recoating those areas. This is a finish regularly used  by Swallow for decks/cabin tops of its bespoke epoxy boats. Have owners found a substitute with a close colour/texture match? International only produce one 2 pot polyurethane these days -  same colour but a gloss.

Julian Merson

Re: Deck paint for Baycruiser 20
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2022, 21:00 »
The deck on Daisy III is a sort of ivory colour which I match by combining Toplac 1 and 27 until it blends reasonably well.  That's served the purpose for the small dings and scrapes on the deck area.  Messing about with 2-pot 'anything' for these sorts of things always seems to be unnecessary bother.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

graham2burton65@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2022, 22:02 »
Thanks Julian,
I had the same question about deck paint.
I own Jaunty, I purchased it from over two years ago.

Unfortunately with Covid....only one sail so far, in Poole Harbour as it happens.

I want to fix some small light items to the cabin sides from inside.  Have you ever found out how thick the ply is here?  I'm guessing there is some foam core in the deck head but presumably not the sides..

Kind regard
Graham B

Julian Merson

« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2022, 10:03 »
Graham, when cutting out a hole for a depth sounder, this is what I found.  I don't know if this is replicated all around, but don't see why it shouldn’t be so.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Aurigacap

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2022, 17:12 »
In response to Graham Burton's question about deck/cabin composition, the best source of hard information I have come across - as a seeker of truth, given my task of rigging from scratch - is from Julian Merson's own Daisy III blog which includes a full photo library of a Baycruiser 20 in construction (not Daisy III). One photo of the roof is attached and this shows what a complex structure it is : some is airex/ ply sandwich, like the sample from Julian's cabin bulkhead, while other parts where standard high load fittings are attached (eg tabernacle, organisers, genoa tracks, clutches/cleats) are solid ply. The hull and its reinforcements, including the tanks and cockpit, appear to be entirely fibreglass sheathed ply. The coachroof sides and deck are less clear, to my ageing eyes at least.

As to the deck paint, since I have rather more to cover than Julian Merson's scratches, I think I'll stick to 2 pot polyurethane. Swallow now use Jotun Flexi Hardtop cream (RAL 9001), so I will give it a go...if I can establish a reasonable colour match in advance.