Author Topic: Wanted Spinaker pole and fittings for BR20  (Read 2483 times)

Tim Leary

Wanted Spinaker pole and fittings for BR20
« on: 07 Mar 2022, 13:07 »
Anyone not using your asymmetric spinaker?
I’ve bought the sail, but need everything else to suit my Bayraider 20 Leven Lady.
I did obtain a windsurf mast, but it slid straight through the hole - too thin! Failed at first hurdle!
Thanks,
Tim Leary.

Llafurio

Re: Wanted Spinaker pole and fittings for BR20
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2022, 14:44 »
Tim,
Are you sure you want to fly your asymmetric from the tip of a protruding windsurfer mast? Because, that is just a lightwind arrangement, and likely to snap in more interesting conditions.: https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17&URL=https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php?topic=419 .
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Tim Leary

« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2022, 23:07 »
Llafurio,
Thanks for your comment and link, which I have read.
I think I would restrict use to reasonable wind speeds, and try to avoid ramming into anything too solid, so yes I would like to proceed down this route, so if you or anyone else can help me, I would be most appreciative and ready to pay.
Thanks again,
Tim.

Llafurio

« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2022, 09:03 »
... I did obtain a windsurf mast, but it slid straight through the hole - too thin! Failed at first hurdle! ...

You mistakenly got yourself a so called "skinny" mast, aka RDM, Reduced Diametre Mast, 32mm at the foot. When I had advised SwB on using windsurfer masts in 2005, the only available masts were SDM, Standard Diameter Mast, 48mm at the foot. That is why the moulded sockets for mizzen mast and spinnaker boom on the BRs still are for SDMs only.

BTW, I myself have no spinnaker pole and fittings for sale, I fly my asymmetric simply from the tip of my jib clubboom. I had to build me a stronger jibboom anyway, so I just built it a little longer to also accommodate the footpoint for the spinnaker.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Matthew P

« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2022, 18:34 »
Hi Tim       

Have you thought of using a 2nd hand carbon fibre rowing oar shaft?  They are designed to resist bending with a 100Kg of muscle repeatedly heaving on one end, pivot on a narrow, stress concentrating pin and nicely taper to the blade.   You would need to check shaft diameters to see what fits but maximum diameters at the rowlock seem to range from 60mm to 50mm and taper down to 40mm dia at the blade end. They can be beefed up by epoxying carbon fibre tape lengthways it for beam strength and around the diameter to prevent tube collapse - or stuff some timber up the centre into the critical area where the pole emerges from the hull. 

Carbon oars are occasionally for sale on Facebook Marketplace and Ebay.

Matthew
BR17 Tarika

"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Tim Leary

« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2022, 22:59 »
Thanks guys!
Good food for thought!

MarkDarley

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2022, 01:59 »
Tim,

Here in California (my home in the winter) I have just fitted a spinnaker pole to "Kelpie" as she had the hole in the hull, but no spinnaker fitted by the previous owner.  I was given a windsurf mast of the old diameter, and I used the wider base section joined to about a foot of the top section sleeved with wood dowel (wooden stairs railing) at the joint.  It fits well and seems very solid.  I plan to try it this weekend and will report back. As I single hand a lot, I will be flying that spinnaker from a roller furler on the end of the boom.

It is a far beefier boom than the skinny one I have on "Pippin", my wood Bayraider 20, in Devon which is the skinny end of a windsurf mast and bends like a banana in anything above about 8 knots of breeze.  In order to stabilize that one, I usually lead the tack line to the windward deck cleat which gives it a bit more lateral strength. Pippin's spinnaker is launched and retrieved from the boat.

I love the fact that so many of the spars on the boat are old windsurfer masts.  Collect them when you can.  I now have two spares in Devon and another in California for insurance....I broke and replaced my mizzen in Devon last summer. Total cost £10 from a used windsurf parts shop in Plymouth. (That was for 2 masts. I should have bought 3!)

Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Tim Leary

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2022, 00:16 »
Nice one Mark!
Slightly envious of your winters in the sun!
Well I now have a mast and some great advice from Matt and team ref hardware, so time to get spending!
Looking forward to your report.
Cheers,
Tim.