Author Topic: Let's play: Can you name this piece of rigging?  (Read 2839 times)

globetrot

I received my BR20 last summer. I had one beautiful sail, but then I experienced a failure in the carbon mast that needed repair. The repair took all summer.  :'(

So I had a chance to set the boat up properly one time before again doing it this spring. As far as I can see, everything is set up correctly, but I have one last piece of kit and can't figure out what it is for.

I have a Bermuda rig with a loose-footed full headsail and no spinnaker.

As far as I can see, the BR20 does not have a Cunningham. Does it?

Hint: it is not my vang.

Does anyone with a BR20 have something similar and can help me put this piece in the right place?
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Let's play: Can you name this piece of rigging?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2022, 19:47 »
In the unlikely event that it has nothing to do with the Bermudan rig, which I’m not familiar with, it could be the component parts of the standard mizzen sheet but re-assembled in a confusing way.  Under this scenario, you have the hook to attach to the mizzen boom strop and the two rather cheap RWO blocks that attach to the u-bolts at the outer extremities of the stern.  The large parrel bead might then be an imposter. 

I recognised the cheap blocks straight away, which I have long since replaced, hence my alternative but unlikely lightbulb moment.  You can see a photo of the old standard mizzen sheet hardware on page 15 of the 2010 manual https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/BayRaider-June2010.pdf.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2022, 08:59 »
Looks exactly like the rigging to install the vang on the BR20 boom, secures on a soft shackle around the boom and if I remember correctly ( never use mine as it’s either spray hood up or vang) clips on the tabernacle.

Did you opt for the standard wood or carbon fibre boom.
When you say “it’s not the vang” is that because you have another similar piece of rigging which is definitely the vang.
With my carbon fibre boom I have a Cunningham fitted.
Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

globetrot

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2022, 11:33 »
In the unlikely event that it has nothing to do with the Bermudan rig, which I’m not familiar with, it could be the component parts of the standard mizzen sheet but re-assembled in a confusing way.  Under this scenario, you have the hook to attach to the mizzen boom strop and the two rather cheap RWO blocks that attach to the u-bolts at the outer extremities of the stern.  The large parrel bead might then be an imposter. 

I recognised the cheap blocks straight away, which I have long since replaced, hence my alternative but unlikely lightbulb moment.  You can see a photo of the old standard mizzen sheet hardware on page 15 of the 2010 manual https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/BayRaider-June2010.pdf.

By Bermudan rig, I am referring to a traditional sloop with no spar. My mizzen sail is already set up and its design hasn't changed. It still has the beige line and a clip. When storing the line and hardware, I did not disassemble anything. I just unattached rigging from its respective place.

Looks exactly like the rigging to install the vang on the BR20 boom, secures on a soft shackle around the boom and if I remember correctly ( never use mine as it’s either spray hood up or vang) clips on the tabernacle.

Did you opt for the standard wood or carbon fibre boom.
When you say “it’s not the vang” is that because you have another similar piece of rigging which is definitely the vang.
With my carbon fibre boom I have a Cunningham fitted.
Peter C

I opted for the wooden boom. I doubt it is the vang because I have another piece of kit that is more likely my vang. I attached a photo, but unfortunately I do not have a photo showing the entire thing.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2022, 11:55 »
If not the vang, my next thought is halyard tensioner, I opted for the larger jib set on a bowsprit, initially a 3:1 block system was rigged to aid tensioning (between head of jib and mast block) this worked fine but resulted in mtrs of halyard to keep tidy when jib raised and tensioned.

Matt had another option to offer which I think is the bit of kit your posting, with a normal single rope halyard a loop is formed in the halyard a mtr or so above the tabernacle, when the halyard is tensioned as hard as you can with muscle strength and cleated off the block system you are describing is attached to the loop and tabernacle and the halyard can be tensioned further with the mechanical advantage, that’s, how mine and Gareth,s are rigged, hope this helps

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2022, 12:12 »
If not the vang, my next thought is halyard tensioner, I opted for the larger jib set on a bowsprit, initially a 3:1 block system was rigged to aid tensioning (between head of jib and mast block) this worked fine but resulted in mtrs of halyard to keep tidy when jib raised and tensioned.

Matt had another option to offer which I think is the bit of kit your posting, with a normal single rope halyard a loop is formed in the halyard a mtr or so above the tabernacle, when the halyard is tensioned as hard as you can with muscle strength and cleated off the block system you are describing is attached to the loop and tabernacle and the halyard can be tensioned further with the mechanical advantage, that’s, how mine and Gareth,s are rigged, hope this helps

Peter C

I'm not familiar with BR20 (no winch, unlike my Bermudan  BRe I'm guessing?) Therefore, my best guess is as per PC above.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

globetrot

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2022, 12:15 »

Peter C

You could be right! Even if this is not what it is for, I am tempted to try this out because it has been very difficult to get sufficient tension in the jib halyard. I am excited to try this idea out. Thank you!
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

globetrot

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2022, 16:32 »
Ok, so the mystery is solved. I'm adding this last comment for anyone else that may find it helpful.

Thank you, Graham W, for your comment and for helping to solve the mystery. Swallow has also confirmed our suspicion. Here is Matt's comment:

"The shackle attaches to the bottom of the mast front, and the snap hook into a knotted eye in the Jib Halyard. In this way, you can pull a 4:1 advantage and cleat off at the mast base."
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2022, 16:55 »
Louis,

My suggestions were entirely unhelpful - I think it was Peter C who won the star prize.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

globetrot

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2022, 17:48 »
Louis,

My suggestions were entirely unhelpful - I think it was Peter C who won the star prize.

You're right! Credit where credit is due: Peter Cockerton. Thank you :)
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP