Author Topic: Baycruiser 23 spinnaker sail area?  (Read 2081 times)

MarkDarley

Baycruiser 23 spinnaker sail area?
« on: 03 Mar 2022, 20:50 »
Does anyone know the sail area of the BC23 spinnaker?  I need it for the YTC rating form.

Does any current BC23 owner already have a YTC rating?  Or any other rating for that matter.......

Thanks
Mark
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

Re: Baycruiser 23 spinnaker sail area?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2022, 16:51 »
The answer from Lara at Swallow is that the spinnaker for the BC 23 is 24sqm.
Thank you Lara.
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

Sea Simon

Mark, I have just noticed that I need to "re-register" my BRe with SWYTC for the 2022 season; its an annual scheme apparently.

In doing so noticed that there is already a BC 23 on there . Given you have no sails, I Assume its not you - or are you planning early? I think it's a Dartmouth boat?

"Foxwhelp".

BC23079   FOXWHELP   DRR   Swallow Baycruiser 23   ADOB   SWYTC #987   white sail 1012
https://www.swytc.org.uk/publicdata.asp?id=1342

My BRe, for comparison, is 1097 & 1120.

There is a Coast 250, "Meraki" at 961 & 987. Interesting in that the rating data shows she has an outboard with a fixed two blade prop?
Do the motors on Coasts trim up clear of the water when sailing?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Rob Johnstone

Re: Baycruiser 23 spinnaker sail area?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2022, 20:38 »
As I understand it the motor on a Coast does pivot up, just like on a BayRaider, except that it is gruntless.

Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Sea Simon

Re: Baycruiser 23 spinnaker sail area? SWYTC Coast 250
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2022, 08:39 »
As I understand it the motor on a Coast does pivot up, just like on a BayRaider, except that it is gruntless.

Agree, Rob.

"Can be fitted with a 9.9-70HP outboard". That weight difference is in itself interesting from a handicap perspective. I don't think the SWYTC  formula "sees" this unusual possibility? Although it perhaps should be picked up on "Displacement"?
SWYTC admitted to struggling a little with my water ballast system, and my handicap originally ended up as that of a planing sports cruiser ( like small Js,  melges.....and same as a Django 7.70!)

So, prop : according to my understanding of the SWYTC "policy &Procedures doc (at https://www.swytc.org.uk/index.asp) these Coast handicap numbers should be "discounted" by 2%, as she is potentially faster?

"Rig- And Engine-Related Adjustments
16. The formulae in paragraph 11 above assume a boat has a two-blade fixed propeller and a spinnaker.
17. Raw numbers will be adjusted to reflect declared engine, prop and sail configurations, using the tables below:
Engine related
Percentage allowance
2-blade fixed propeller 0% (this configuration is assumed in the formulae)
3-blade fixed propeller +2%
Folding propeller -1%
Outboard (able to be lifted clear of water) -2%"

My entry shows Ketch/Yawl: Yes
Keel: Drop
Engine: Outboard
Propeller: None.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.