Swallow Yachts Forum > General Discussion

Why did you sell your Swallow?

(1/4) > >>

Graham W:
This is probably not going to be seen by those who have already moved on and who might give the most interesting answers but here goes anyway. 

It always surprises me when I see Swallow owners putting their craft up for sale.  When it’s not stated, I’m intrigued to know how they came to make such an epic decision.

Obvious reasons include moving up the range.  But what about other less obvious reasons?  Answers on a postcard please.

markbatey:
OK, I'll go first. I've had two Swallow boats, a Bayraider 17 and and BC23. The first was easy, it was a great first boat, used it mostly on Derwent Reservoir in Co Durham, plus Ullswater and the North sea out of the Tyne. Moved on because I wanted to get into more yachty stuff at sea, and that's not the BR17.

BC23 is harder. I had had a 26ft long keeled wooden yacht, a Holman 26. I was enjoying the north east coast but wanted to explore further afield and thought a good trailerable mini yacht, big enough to live on for a little while but moveable around the country, would do that. And it does in many ways. Very easy to launch and retrieve for a boat of its size (since had a Norfolk Gypsy, now try that in comparison). Took the 23 to Mylor, great fun. Sailed up and down the Northumberland coast for a year or two, mostly single handed, nice. But what made me finally sell her was that the BC23 is a boat that has to be sailed. You have to be on her case all the time, hand on the tiller, hand on the main sheet. Want a pee? Heave to. Boil a kettle? Stop the boat. It's very responsive, very quick, but the downside is that she needs to be actively sailed like a dinghy, not passively sailed like a yacht. And that's just not for me. By myself, I need to be able to relax on the water, and with the BC23 I was having to concentrate all the time. I suspect that many Swallow boat owners have moved up from dinghies and are enjoying the space etc, and that sort of thing is second nature. Just not me.

Just for reference, I tried again as I mentioned with a Norfolk Gypsy, looking for a trailerable boat that sails well, looks great, sails ok. And the Gypsy was a better balance for me, much heavier, 1500kg displacement, long keel, steady, about the same accomodation, sails in a straight line long enough to put the kettle on. But, launching, you have to submerge the whole trailer and float the boat off, very heavy to tow, the whole "let's go to the Clyde for a week" thing is possible, but pretty stressful.

So I'm back to a bigger boat, just got a nice Vancouver 27. Different thing altogether.

I have a huge affection for Swallow boats (sorry, yachts. Actually, not yachts, well maybe the 26 is). I love the looks, the company is great, they make me smile. And maybe that's the joy of the whole thing, that we are all looking for our boat, and our needs are all different.

Well, you asked, hope this helps. I still keep on eye on this forum, just out of interest. Glad you're all having fun. Keep sailing....

Mark

Graham W:
Mark,

Very interesting answer, thank you.

My first ever boat was a Norfolk Gypsy, which I sold when I moved away from Dover, became very busy at work and couldn’t really afford the upkeep.  Solid as a rock.  I took it down to the South of France and left it there for a couple of seasons and also based it at Pwllheli Marina for a bit.  As you say, it’s not a boat for impulsive trailering trips.  I used the diesel inboard on it far more than I ever use an engine/motor on my BR20.  And you’re right about the relaxation bit - you definitely need to concentrate when sailing a BR20.  The Gypsy came with an Autohelm linked to the wind indicator and fluxgate compass, which made single handing an absolute doddle.

MarkDarley:
Mark, very interesting answer. 
Yes, I am more of a small boat sailor but have been all the way up to a 90 ton circumnavigation, and back down again. 
I think many folks sail single handed with an unnecessary amount of sail, but then I have yet to take delivery of my BC 23.  Certainly I find it true cruising my wooden Bayraider 20, especially upwind….waterline length is the limiter anyway.
I will be very interested to see other prior owners comments.
Good idea Graham!
Regards,
Mark

Julian Merson:
This post might have more takers if the question is extended to why *might I eventually* sell my swallow.  In my case, having otherwise sailed various Drascombes, amongst many, many fine features with the BC20, it's a joy to have a boat which really does bite into the wind, much safer with the water ballast, and the extra cabin space is welcome.  However, when moving up to the BC20, I always knew that one day she would become too big for me, too heavy to launch and manage single handed, and I would then downsize, probably back to a Drascombe Lugger, or equivalent.  So, when that day comes, I suspect it will be due to wanting a more manageable boat, less back-breaking pumping out of the water ballast at the end of a trip.
But it is interesting to read MB's comments on the BC needing constant attention under way, since that’s exactly what I've found.  On the coaster, which was by no means perfect in this regard, I could more readily dive down below and fetch out a stove to make a hot drink.  It's harder with the BC20 since she's much more difficult to balance - almost permanent hand on tiller to maintain a constant direction.  So, being hove-to is a well-practised routine - and it's very effective.  But, I probably could do with reading a thread or two on here about trimming sails, weather helm, etc.  I know they exist…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version